• Even after expressing sympathy for noted fourth-quarter vanisher LeBron James, Rory McIlroy went out and absolutely throttled the U.S. Open field for four straight days in one of the most exceptional tournaments you'll ever see.
• Henrik Stenson lost his temper and hurt himself. Ain't that always the way?
• NBC omitted the words "under God" from the pledge before the final day of the U.S. Open, which really didn't upset anybody at all. Really.
• Over on the women's side, Yani Tseng saw McIlroy's victory and raised him a ten-stroke hammering at the LPGA Championship.
• Tiger Woods split with longtime agency IMG. What might that mean for his career? Meanwhile, Woods grew a fancy new beard, scared a baby, and knocked the bottom out of U.S. Open ticket prices with his absence.
• Kevin Na is the world's slowest golfer. Science says so.
• President Obama played a round of presidential golf with House Speaker John Boehner. No "he pulls to the left" jokes, please.
• Meanwhile, this was a nice trick: Rickie Fowler holed out from between two buildings in downtown D.C.