Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

Devil Ball Golf

Henrik Stenson had such a good year that his caddie bought himself a Ferrari

Shane Bacon
Devil Ball Golf

View photo


Getty Images

As a professional golfer, you always dream of that day that money isn't something you're worried about. Years ago I took on the mini tour golf scene for a summer and the stress that comes with always worrying about money can sure make those four-footers for par a lot tougher to bury.

After the year that Henrik Stenson had, money will never be a bother to the 37-year-old Swede who became the first player ever to win the FedEx Cup and the Race to Dubai in the same season.

How good was his year? His caddie, Gareth Lord, pocketed so much cash that he's treating himself to a Ferrari. When your caddie is buying high end cars, you know you've done pretty well for yourself.

Via the Daily Mail ...

"His caddie Gareth Lord from Coventry has collected so many bonuses he has treated himself to a Ferrari. He's a vital member of Team Stenson, alongside the wise Yorkshire coach, Pete Cowen, who reckons Stenson is only 75 percent towards the player he can be. ‘It will be fun when I get the other 25 percent,' said Stenson."

Thanks to all the bonuses and such that Stenson collected, he made nearly $20 million this season just on the golf course, so if Lord landed just 10 percent of that he would have pocketed $2 million (and I'd venture to say he probably got a little more than that if Stenson is the generous type).

This is going to shock you, but I'm not exactly sure the price of your standard Ferrari (writer salaries!), but even if it's a a quarter of a million bucks he will stay have a dollar or two left to his name to give his family a pretty lavish holiday season.

So, for those scoring at home, the best way to make $2 million in one season without ever swinging a club goes like this:

-- Be extremely smart and talented as a caddie, not to mention the type of person that can calm down a guy that can go from zero to 60 in about three seconds.

-- Find a talented golfer that is on the cusp of breaking through.

-- Hope that the golfers picks you as his caddie and keeps you around through the good and bad times.

-- Have your golfer win the year end bonus on the two biggest golf tours in the world in the same season.

See, how hard is that?!

- - - - - - -

Shane Bacon is the editor of Devil Ball Golf and Busted Racquet on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at or

Win cash prizes, pick a fantasy roster for just one day, join in minutes!

Learn how to play

Contest Entries Entry Fee Prizes Starts (EDT)
NBA $16K Tournament [$1.5K to 1st] 2187/3637 $5 $16000 Today 7:00 PM Enter
NBA $10K Tournament [$1K to 1st] 292/455 $25 $10000 Today 7:00 PM Enter
NBA $3K Tournament [Single Entry] 1001/1705 $2 $3000 Today 7:00 PM Enter
View Comments (69)