Friday is the biggest newsday of the week, and there's plenty to talk about as we get ready for Week 9. To the desk:
• Another backfield smokescreen is at play in Denver, as Mike Shanahan slapped the questionable tag on his entire group. It still looks like Michael Pittman (ribs) will be the starter - keep in mind he practiced all week - but it's not clear what will happen after that. Ryan Torain (elbow) did have a full session Friday, for what it's worth, but I wouldn't risk playing him until we see a dress rehearsal first. To further complicate things, the Broncos and Dolphins have a late start (in Denver) Sunday.
• Willie Parker (knee) had a full week of practice and should be fine to start at Washington Monday, though the Steelers probably will keep Mewelde Moore involved to some extent. The Redskins stop the run fairly well, so fantasy teams deep at running back don't necessarily have to play Parker right away. Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) also had a full practice Friday, and there's little doubt he'll be on the field Monday night.
• Reggie Wayne (knee) had another limited day Friday and remains questionable for Week 9, though it's worth noting that Tony Dungy didn't list anyone as probable this week - perhaps the questionable designation isn't as meaty here as it would be in some other cities. I'm not a doctor or an Indianapolis coach, but I'm expecting Wayne to play. Joseph Addai (hamstring) had a full week of practice and should start, though the Colts are also listing him as questionable.
• Clinton Portis (ankle) was at work Friday and is fully expected to play Monday night against the Steelers. The news isn't as good with Santana Moss (hamstring); he missed the session and is considered a game-time decision.
• Willis McGahee (ankle) has missed time all week and is questionable for Cleveland. At least it's an early start and we'll know around noontime eastern.
• Randy Moss is now off New England's injury report so go ahead and use him as usual.
• Larry Johnson's vacation keeps getting longer - the Chiefs aren't dressing him this week, and the NFL has suspended him for Week 10, citing violation of the league's conduct policy. Kolby Smith figure to see tough sledding against Tampa Bay this week.
• Aaron Rodgers (shoulder) did limited work all week but he's start at Tennessee.
• Trent Edwards (ankle) had a full practice Friday and should be fine for the Jets.
• Tony Scheffler (groin) was limited Friday and looks like a game-time decision for Sunday's late start with Miami. You know the Broncos, we're not getting any secrets revealed on anyone.
• L.J. Smith (concussion) has been ruled out for Week 9, but the Eagles should get Reggie Brown (groin) back and DeSean Jackson (shoulder) is expected to go. And no worries for Brian Westbrook, he had an active week and will play.
• Brandon Lloyd (knee) had another limited day Friday and looks like a risky play this week. He's listed as questionable.
• Kevin Walter (knee) did well at the end of the week, is probable, and should play at Minnesota.
• A man once known as Chad Johnson (foot) was added to the injury report as probable Friday. He's expected to play, and produce mediocre stats, against the Jaguars.
• Ahman Green is battling a handful of injuries, a thigh most prominently, and is iffy to play at Minnesota.
Photo via US Presswire