Boxing

  • Why Donald Trump was invited to watch a Muslim and a Mexican fight

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 13 hrs ago

    Boxing is taking its swings at Donald Trump.

    First, it was Top Rank’s Bob Arum who crafted the #NoTrump undercard for Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley’s third fight earlier this month as a response to the GOP candidate's disparaging comments towards Mexicans.

    Now, Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya has anted up by offering the businessman-turned-polarizing-politician a pair of ringside seats to see a Muslim and a Mexican throw down in what could be the biggest pay-per-view fight this year.

    “I want to take this opportunity to invite Mr. Trump to the Canelo vs. Khan fight on May 7 in Las Vegas,” Oscar De La Hoya said while appearing on Fox Business News’ “Cavuto Coast To Coast.” “I have Amir Khan, a Muslim fighter from the UK, fighting against the most popular boxer in Mexico, Canelo Alvarez, opening up the new T-Mobile Arena. We have an opportunity to show Mr. Trump just what Mexicans and Muslims can achieve — and in a city that screams America: Las Vegas. Trump, let me invite you so that you can see what a Mexican and a Muslim can generate.”

  • Terrorist group plotted to kidnap boxer Manny Pacquiao, President Aquino says

    Kevin Iole at Boxing 1 day ago

    Filipino president Benigno Aquino III said Abu Sayyaf, a militant Muslin group based in the Philippines, planned to assassinate him and was plotting to kidnap boxer Manny Pacquiao, according to a report from The Associated Press.

    Pacquiao, who announced his retirement as a boxer following an April 9 victory over Timothy Bradley in Las Vegas, is a congressman representing Sarangani province and the most popular figure in the island nation. He is in the midst of a campaign for a seat in the Filipino senate.

    Aquino said the government scuttled Abu Sayyaf's plans to detonate bombs in Manila.

    They allegedly even hatched plots to kidnap Manny Pacquiao or one of his children, as well as my sister Kris or one of her children, with the plan to use them in bargaining for the release of their cohorts. Threats against my own life have been investigated.

    Aquino gave no further details about Pacquiao.

  • Why Terence Crawford vs. Viktor Postol is on PPV instead of HBO

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 2 days ago

    Terence Crawford and Viktor Postol have agreed to terms on a junior welterweight unification bout scheduled for July 23 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas on HBO PPV, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum confirmed with Yahoo Sports.

    Crawford is perhaps one of the best young talents in all of boxing and currently holds the WBO light welterweight title. Sporting an unbeaten record of 28-0 (20 KOs), the 28-year-old product from Omaha, Neb., is coming off a scintillating fifth-round TKO of Hank Lundy in February. But his opponent is far from a pushover as the 5-foot-11 Postol is also unbeaten with an identical record of 28-0 (12 KOs) and is coming off an eyebrow-raising showcase in stopping the heavy-handed Lucas Matthysse in the 10th round back in October.

    There are many inquiries by fans as to why this fight ended up being on pay-per-view instead of HBO considering that Crawford is still relatively new to the mainstream and Postol, despite his credentials, is still an unknown outside of boxing fans. But Arum explained that the recent budget cuts at HBO have limited how many fights the premium network can broadcast and made PPV a necessity.

  • After another KO win, Gennady Golovkin focused on Canelo Alvarez

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 3 days ago

    After Gennady Golovkin's second-round decimation of Dominic Wade on Saturday, calls from fight fans for a showdown with Canelo Alvarez grew in intensity. And to add fuel to the fire, GGG plans on sitting ringside for Canelo’s upcoming fight with Amir Khan on May 7.

    “He will be in Las Vegas for that fight,” Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler said. “He is not going to go in the ring to call [Canelo] out. He is going there to see who wins the fight.”

    Golovkin has been patiently waiting for a showdown with the sport’s next big pay-per-view attraction in Alvarez. It appeared that their paths were set to cross when Alvarez claimed the WBC middleweight title against Miguel Cotto in November as the unbeaten Golovkin – the current WBA (Super), IBF, IBO and WBC interim middleweight titleholder – has been adamant about unifying the titles. However, there have been roadblocks for this potential fight.

    While Oscar De La Hoya and Canelo have sidestepped the question of when Canelo will fight GGG, Golovkin has not minced words about his intentions.

    “I’m ready to fight everybody, but, of course, I want to fight Canelo,” he said during the post-fight news conference.

  • Boxer Terence Crawford turns himself in to authorities

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 6 days ago

    WBO super lightweight champion Terence Crawford turned himself in to authorities Friday morning in Omaha, Neb., and faces four misdemeanor charges stemming from an incident that took place at a local auto body shop last week.

    According to the Associated Press, Crawford is accused of causing $5,000 in damage to a hydraulic lift at Extreme Custom Fleet and Auto Spa after a dispute over a paint job. Shop owner Michael Nelson told police that the boxer owed him $1,350 for a paint job on a 1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Nelson said that he told Crawford that his car would remain on the lift until the balance was paid in full. He alleges that Crawford and three associates took matters into their own hands and took the car down from the lift, tied a rope around it and hauled it out of the shop, damaging the lift in the process.

    What was originally a felony theft charge has been reduced to four misdemeanors: destruction of property, theft of service, misdemeanor assault and trespassing. Crawford’s attorney, Steve Lefler, said that this is more of a civil dispute and a lawsuit would be filed at a later date. Crawford refused to comment upon turning himself in.

     

  • Jailed Adrien Broner indicted on assault, robbery charges

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 13 days ago

    Former champion Adrien Broner has been indicted on assault and robbery charges stemming from a January incident that took place outside of a Cincinnati bowling alley. Broner is already in the midst of serving a 10-day jail sentence after violating his probation due to an unrelated reckless driving case.

    A grand jury decided to indict the troubled Broner on Thursday on charges of felonious assault, aggravated robbery and robbery. The charges stem from a lawsuit filed by Christopher Carson, who has accused Broner of robbing him of $10,000 in cash outside of a bowling alley back on January 21. Carson claims that Broner punched him twice while brandishing a firearm after Broner attempted to force Carson to give him back money that was lost in a bowling bet.

    The aggravated robbery charge is a first-degree felony that carries a maximum sentence of three to five years. The charges of second-degree felonious assault and robbery carry sentences of two to eight years.

    The 26-year-old Broner will next appear at a pre-trial hearing, which has yet to be scheduled.

  • Ellerbe: Floyd Mayweather is retired, no plans for a rematch with Manny Pacquiao

    Kevin Iole at Boxing 15 days ago

    Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of Mayweather Promotions, threw cold water Wednesday on speculation that there could be a rematch of the 2015 bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.

    Showtime Sports general manager Stephen Espinoza stoked the fires a bit on Monday, two days after Pacquiao won a unanimous decision over Timothy Bradley in Las Vegas, when he suggested a rematch could be possible if the public demands it.

    I thought Pacquiao looked good, looked as good as he has looked in the last three or four years. He was active. He showed the power. He was quick. But really in terms of a Mayweather rematch, it’s really up to the audience, to the fans and the writers. I know from talking to Floyd — if there’s demand for a particular fight — I think he will give it strong consideration. But I think this is one where we’re not going to put the cart before the horse. If people are interested in that fight then I think they’ll make their voices heard and we’ll start working on it.

    Never say never, but file this one as highly unlikely.

  • Showtime exec on potential for Mayweather-Pacquiao 2: It's up to the people

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 16 days ago

    After Manny Pacquiao’s dominant performance against Timothy Bradley on Saturday, it appeared as though we had finally reached the end of both the Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao eras.

    Not so fast.

    Showtime Sports executive Stephen Espinoza believes that there’s a possibility that not only will both fight again, but a rematch of their 2015 megafight could also be on the table. All the general public has to do is ask for it.

    Espinoza told RingTV that he was impressed by Pacquiao’s performance and spoke to Mayweather over the weekend to gauge his interest in fighting again. The impression he got was that Mayweather would consider coming out of retirement if there were enough fan interest in a rematch.

    “It’s certainly more interesting now than it was a couple weeks ago,” Espinoza said of a potential rematch. “With that performance, what Manny showed is that he still has the ability to perform at a high level and arguably at a higher level than he did last May. So whatever the reason, if people believe that the outcome or really the fight will be different this time, I think there could be some interest that is building for that fight.”

     

  • Little-known champ Charles Martin eager to make a big statement in first defense

    Kevin Iole at Boxing 20 days ago

    It's always astounding to see one of those polls about politicians that track name recognition. Usually, a question is asked that goes something like, "Do you recognize this name favorably, unfavorably or do you not recognize?" Inevitably, there is a a fairly significant percentage who profess not to recognize even the president of the United States.

    But ask that question of boxing fans about Charles Martin and be prepared to get blank stares.

    Martin might be the most least-recognized heavyweight champion ever, and he won his title in odd fashion when his opponent in a bout for the vacant IBF title injured a knee and was forced to quit in the third round. But on the eve of his first defense, Martin is not at all concerned about his lack of recognition, going on the road in a hostile environment to defend his belt or all the naysayers who expect unbeaten 2012 gold medalist Anthony Joshua to knock him cold.

    They will meet Saturday at the O2 Arena in London in a bout televised by Showtime. Joshua is one of the top prospects in the sport and the bout is something of a showcase for him.

  • Timothy Bradley urges Filipino voters to elect Manny Pacquiao to the Senate

    Kevin Iole at Boxing 22 days ago

    LAS VEGAS -- A few minutes before the formal news conference was to begin, Timothy Bradley walked over to where Manny Pacquiao was seated and stretched out his right hand. Pacquiao arose and the two stood talking and smiling for several minutes.

    The two will fight ferociously on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden when they meet in the main event of an HBO Pay-Per-View card that will guarantee Pacquiao $7 million and Bradley $4 million. But before the show, they were just like friends at a business meeting.

    And never was the respect the two have for each other more apparent than when it was Bradley's turn to speak at the dais. The two have fought twice previously, splitting the bouts, and clearly had developed a professional respect.

    But Bradley showed the personal feelings that have developed between the two when he spoke about Pacquiao's upcoming election campaign for a Senate seat in the Philippines.

    Bradley made an extraordinary speech long before he got to speaking about Pacquiao. He made heartfelt comments thanking his wife, Monica, for her understanding and help in guiding his career, as well as his trainer, Teddy Atlas.

    Then, he turned and spoke directly to Pacquiao.