- Elias Cepeda at Boxing13 hrs ago
Timothy Bradley might be the only parent to have ever sat their child down and forced them to play for hours on end, against the kid's will. As he explains in a new video interview with FightHubTV, Bradley witnessed his young son get frustrated while playing a video game and throw the controller down in anger before giving up.
That's when the welterweight boxer and life-long video game lover put his foot down and made his son commit to beating the game. When his crying son finally did pass all of the game's levels, Bradley says the boy learned - even through a simple video game - that effort pays off.
"I was like, 'See? You can do anything if you work hard,'" he remembers.
"If you work hard at it and don't give up, you can do anything in this life. I was like, 'Even with this simple game right here, I knew you could get up on top of that thing. If it's possible, you can do it, and you did it.'"
- Elias Cepeda at Boxing4 days ago
It seems as though Roy Jones Jr. (58-8) spends more time in the former Soviet Union than the Klitschko brothers. He's back there this week getting set to defend his WBU cruiserweight title in Krasnodar, Russia Friday night.
The former pound for pound champ has fought his last three bouts Latvia, Russia, and Poland, respectively. It's hard to blame the 45 year-old, however, because he seems to still draw crowds and attention in Euroasia.
For example, check out the above video of a recent open workout that Jones conducted in Russia. The gym looks packed.
It will be interesting to see how many folks show up and tune in to his title defense against Egyptian Hany Atiyo (14-2) in their 12 round affair tomorrow. American fans - will you be searching for a way to watch Roy fight, or at least be looking for the result online tomorrow?
Let us know in the comments section.
- Elias Cepeda at Boxing5 days ago
IBF middleweight champ Sam Soliman arrived in New York City from Melbourne, Monday, and discussed how he'll close up his camp here in the States before fighting Jermain Taylor Oct. 8 in Biloxi.
Solimantold FightNews that he'll have five sparring partners to help him put the finishing touches on his camp, in New York City, including Giovanni Lorenzo, who he fought and beat via decision in 2012. The Aussie last fought and won last May but theembattled Taylor has been a lot less active in recent years.
Taylor has yet to fight in 2014 and has only fought four times in all since 2011. Prior to that, Taylor had two years away from competition.
Soliman won't take anything for granted but said that he thinks that rust may be an issue for Taylor. " It could be," he said.
"I plan on setting a fast pace from round one so it will be interesting how he performs in the late rounds. I have never had a problem with stamina."
- Kevin Iole at Boxing6 days ago
Michael Miller has worked for nine years as super welterweight James Kirkland's attorney, adviser, friend and manager, and he's come to expect the unexpected from Kirkland.
Kirkland declined a lucrative bout with Gabe Rosado on Nov. 8 on HBO, Miller said, because he was unhappy with how much of his purse was going to go to his promoter, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson.
Miler said he was not at liberty to disclose the figures, but said that Jackson was above board with Kirkland and the amount that was going to go to Jackson was what all sides had previously discussed and agreed upon.
But in a telephone conversation between Jackson and Kirkland, it fell apart, Miller said.
HBO offered an amount of money to Jackson to get him to provide Kirkland's services for the bout. Kirkland wanted the fight and it seemed the fight was a go.
After talking on the phone with Jackson, Kirkland changed his mind, believing that Jackson was switching the deal.
- Kevin Iole at Boxing6 days ago
Canelo Alvarez has bolted Showtime and signed a long-term deal with HBO on Tuesday.
It's intriguing because Alvarez is one of the biggest television attractions in the game and one of the very few ticket sellers left in the sport. It provides HBO with another star to go along with middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin and takes away one of rival Showtime's go-to guys.
The euphoria for Alvarez fans should be tempered until HBO Sports produces legitimately quality opponents on a regular basis for Alvarez. No opponent was announced for Canelo's return to HBO, which is expected to be on Dec. 6 in San Antonio. However, the shopworn former welterweight champion Joshua Clottey is the leading contender to get the nod.
That's because HBO wants to set up an Alvarez-Miguel Cotto match in early 2015 and doesn't want to risk it by having Alvarez fight anyone who presents too much of a challenge.
The problem is, it's that type of thinking which got boxing into trouble in the first place. ESPN television shows First Take and Pardon the Interruption parroted a common thread last year while referencing boxing, essentially saying the sport is dead.
- Kevin Iole at Boxing11 days ago
Despite allowing himself to be mired into the domestic violence controversy involving ex-Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice, it doesn't appear it hurt Floyd Mayweather at the box office.
A source who has been generally reliable on such numbers confirmed that Mayweather's rematch with Marcos Maidana on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden sold 925,000 pay-per-views. That is 25,000 better than their May fight, which sold roughly 900,000.
Showtime adopted a company policy earlier this year of not releasing pay-per-view figures, so Stephen Espinoza, Showtime's executive vice president and general manager, declined comment.
- Kevin Iole at Boxing12 days ago
Major changes appear afoot at Mayweather Promotions, with CEO Leonard Ellerbe's job in apparent jeopardy, according to comments by pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. to FightHype.com's Ben Thompson.
In a brief question-and-answer session with Thompson, Mayweather indicated unhappiness with cutman/hand wrapper Rafael Garcia, and suggested there are problems between Ellerbe and himself.
Just last week, a glowing feature on Ellerbe ran in the Washington Post in which Mayweather lavished praised upon him.
It takes brains to want to surround yourself with brains. I want to surround myself with the best businessmen that I can possibly surround myself with. Leonard is a very shrewd businessman.
- Kevin Iole at Boxing18 days ago
LAS VEGAS -- The thawing of relations between boxing's two most powerful promotional companies took another step forward on Thursday when Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya met with Top Rank CEO Bob Arum and president Todd duBoef.
Arum confirmed to Yahoo Sports that De La Hoya, in town to promote the Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana pay-per-view card at the MGM Grand on Saturday, was in Top Rank's offices, but he declined to comment beyond that.
It is at least the second known meeting between the sides since July, when De La Hoya reached out to Arum in an attempt to settle their differences and begin working together again.
What has become known as "The Cold War" in boxing began in 2006 when Manny Pacquiao signed promotional agreements with Top Rank and Golden Boy at the same time. An arbiter sided with Top Rank, though it is required to pay Golden Boy a fee for each Top Rank-promoted Pacquiao bout.
- Elias Cepeda at Boxing18 days ago
Mickey Bey has rattled off two straight wins since his surprise 2013 loss to John Molina. The lightweight next gets a shot at IBF lightweight champion Miguel Vazquezthis Saturday on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather vs. Marcos Maidana II ppv.
Though the sometimes cocky fighter knows he's an underdog, he doesn't mind the role. “I prefer this," he said at a recent media day.
"People don’t know how hungry or determined I am. You never know who’s gonna come out on top in this game, you never know for sure what the guy has inside, and you never know what a fighter’s gonna bring that night. So you’ve got to be ready."
Bey understands the opportunity before him and says it is the result of his focus and hard work. “The world title fight for me is huge and it just shows that being patient and doing the hard work pays off," he continued.
"I’ve had a lot of interruptions but you just have to stay patient, stick with it without losing focus, training hard and never think about quitting or giving up."
- Kevin Iole at Boxing19 days ago
LAS VEGAS -- It's rare anyone lays a glove on Floyd Mayweather, but the world's best pound-for-pound boxer took a beating on Wednesday. This time, though, it wasn't from a fellow boxer in the ring, but from boxing media criticizing him for comments he'd made earlier about former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice.
Near the end of an approximately half-hour session Tuesday in a lounge off the main lobby at the MGM Grand, Mayweather was asked his opinion of the video that surfaced showing Rice knocking out his then-fiancee, Janay, with a left hook in an elevator in Atlantic City, N.J.
Mayweather never expressed remorse that Janay Rice was knocked unconscious and instead said the NFL should have kept Rice's suspension at two games. When a reporter said the video of the Rice incident was disturbing, Mayweather seemingly dismissed it.