Boxing

  • Take that, Putin: Michael Conlan signs with Top Rank one month after famous post-fight meltdown

    Kevin Iole at Boxing 8 days ago

    Your browser does not support iframes.

    Michael Conlan is perhaps best known for a tweet he sent to Russian president Vladimir Putin, but Top Rank CEO Bob Arum and president Todd duBoef are convinced bigger things are ahead.

    Top Rank on Monday signed Conlan, the Irishman who was controversially eliminated from the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro by Russian Vladimir Nikitin.

    Conlan, 24, has a huge following in Ireland, but duBoef said he plans to have Conlan campaign mostly in the U.S.

    “To me, coming out of the Olympics, he was the story,” duBoef said. “A, he’s got a lot of personality as well as a country and a whole region behind him, both Ireland and England. There are a lot of people there who know him and are already fans of his. And B, there is a huge Irish population in the U.S.

    “Our pitch to them was, ‘Let’s turn the business model upside down. Let’s lead with America and we know we’ll have Ireland and England with us.’ But if we start him and build him here, this is where the real money is.”

    That tweet made it a world-wide story, and Conlan was chuckling about it on Monday.

     

  • Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez wins world title in fourth weight class

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 17 days ago

    The No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world had his hands full, but ultimately accomplished something his hero and fellow countryman Alexis Arguello couldn’t do by winning a world title in his fourth weight class as Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez (46-0, 38 KOs) defeated Carlos Cuadras (35-1-1, 27 KOs) by unanimous decision for the WBC super flyweight title.

    It was a sensational fight, full of back-and-forth action that may have caught many fans at The Forum by surprise considering that Gonzalez is known for overwhelming his opponents with his high octane offense and thudding power shots. That was certainly not the case on Saturday as Cuadras made the fight more competitive than anticipated by being crafty and showing off his athleticism.

    “It was a very difficult fight,” Gonzalez said, with swelling under both eyes. “This was the most difficult fight that I’ve had in my career.”

    Although the Nicaraguan made history and cemented his place in boxing’s hall of fame, the story of the fight was Cuadras’ heart and ability to stay in the fight while Gonzalez was unable to detonate one of those thunderous punches to end the night early.

  • Canelo Alvarez challenges Conor McGregor to step in boxing ring

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 26 days ago

    After Conor McGregor defeated Nate Diaz in their highly anticipated rematch at UFC 202, the UFC featherweight champion reignited a conversation about possibly competing outside of the MMA promotion.

    “There’s a lot of options,” McGregor said. And with that, the idea of the Irishman possibly competing in a boxing match started again. But if Floyd Mayweather won’t face McGregor in a boxing match, there appears to be another fighter willing to show “Mystic Mac” the ropes.

    Lineal middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez threw his name into the growing pile of potential opponents for McGregor in an interview with FightHub TV. Alvarez was preparing for his upcoming showdown with Liam Smith on Sept. 17, but wanted to address McGregor’s boxing aspirations.

    “If he wants to try out boxing, then anytime he wants,” Alvarez said. “If he wants to come over to this side of the world and try boxing, anytime he wants, to see that it’s not as easy as he thinks.”

    Canelo responded by picking Diaz to win the rematch and suggesting that McGregor “gasses after two rounds.” However, the Mexican was wrong in picking Diaz as McGregor earned a majority decision last month.

  • The reason why Manny Pacquiao ended his brief retirement

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 1 mth ago

    Like many assumed, Manny Pacquiao’s retirement didn’t last very long.

    The Filipino superstar who has won world titles in a record eight different weight classes will come out of his brief retirement to face Jessie Vargas on Nov. 5 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

    The announcement comes after weeks of speculation and confusion regarding whether Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) would indeed come out of retirement after leaving the sport to focus on his political career. ESPN.com confirmed the announcement with both Pacquiao and Arum.

    “Yes, the fight is on. I have agreed to a Nov. 5 fight with reigning WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas,” Pacquiao said. “Boxing is my passion. I miss what I’d been doing inside the gym and atop the ring.”

    A plan is in place for Pacquiao to balance his senator duties with training and he will handle the bulk of his training in the Philippines before heading to the United States a few weeks before the fight to wrap up his camp.

    “Boxing is my main source of income. I can’t rely on my salary as a public official,” Pacquiao said.

  • Undefeated boxer's $70,000 purse stolen from luggage

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 2 mths ago

    Knockout artist Jonathan Guzman scored a scintillating 11th-round KO against Shingo Wake to claim the vacant IBF World super bantamweight title along with $70,000 in cash for his purse back on July 20.

    He returned to a hero’s welcome in his home country of the Dominican Republic on Monday and was greeted by a large crowd of fans and a convoy accompanied him to his home. But after hours of celebration, the boxer found that the luggage that he stored the cash in had been opened and all $70,000 of his purse had been stolen.

    Guzman’s promoter, Sampson Lewkowicz, confirmed the news with Yahoo Sports. According to Lewkowicz, Guzman attempted to carry on his recently won world title and luggage, but he was informed by airline staff that he needed to check one of his bags. Guzman decided to check in the bag with the money in it for the flight from Miami to Santo Domingo and, when he arrived, he realized that the money was gone.

    Lewkowicz says he’s lost sleep over the incident and has done his best to console his fighter. He has told the newly crowned champion that he will get him back in the ring sooner rather than later so he can continue to make money fighting.

  • Adrien Broner ordered to spend 30 days in jail

    Andreas Hale 2 mths ago

    Adrien Broner was ordered to spend 30 days in jail after he failed to show up in court for a scheduled trial.

    The 26-year-old was supposed to appear in court for a trial stemming from charges of felonious assault and aggravated robbery back in January for an incident outside of an Ohio bowling alley.

    When he didn’t appear in court at the scheduled time Tuesday morning, Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Robert Ruehlman found Broner in contempt of court and a warrant was issued for the boxer’s arrest. Broner did eventually arrive but Ruehlman didn’t relent on his position and the jail sentence was still intact.

    People in the courtroom described Broner as looking sick and the former world champion told the judge that he believed someone had “put something” in his drink. His attorney also conveyed that Broner looked “very ill” but didn’t oppose the judge’s ruling.

    On Monday, Broner took to Twitter to suggest that he would be changing his life.

    Unfortunately, he hasn’t proven to distance himself from his turbulent past.

  • Arum: Pacquiao to return on Oct. 29 or Nov. 5; Manny denies report

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 2 mths ago

    There were few who thought that Manny Pacquiao would walk away from the sport that made him a superstar despite announcing his retirement after defeating Timothy Bradley back in April. And now it is confirmed that the Filipino superstar’s brief hiatus will end later this year.

    According to ESPN.com, Manny Pacquiao will return to boxing on either Oct. 29 or Nov. 5 in the main event of an HBO PPV in Las Vegas. This comes after Pacquiao retired to focus on his family and winning a seat as a senator in his home country of the Philippines. But those speeches that Pacquiao gave in April always felt half-hearted, especially after he put together a brilliant performance in toppling Bradley.

    “Manny wants to come back. The problem is he can only come back if it doesn’t interfere with his senate duties,” Arum said. “We had penciled him in for Oct. 15 at Mandalay Bay but we were informed that is no longer possible because he has to spend that week leading up to Oct. 15 formulating the budget in the senate and doing the votes.”

     

  • Mike Tyson at 50: How boxing legend has changed over the years

    Kevin Iole at Boxing 2 mths ago

    Mike Tyson is 50 today, a birthday that many who knew the former heavyweight champion believed he’d never live to celebrate.

    But he’s still with us, performing his one-man show, dabbling in other business ventures, and now very much just another guy trying to pay his bills, feed his family and live his life.

    With the death of Muhammad Ali earlier this month, Tyson is now the most prominent retired boxer alive. He’s kind of the sport’s unofficial elder statesman, though no one has ever dared to describe Tyson as statesmanlike.

    Tyson the fighter was a fearsome mixture of speed and power who achieved great heights but somehow never managed to be quite the fighter that Cus D’Amato envisioned he would be.

    He’s a Hall of Famer, sure, and one of the most recognizable boxers ever. Few ever hit as hard or intimidated as much.

    He bullied his opponents, but was too often bullied in his biggest fights. He was dominated by Evander Holyfield, routed by Lennox Lewis, outclassed by Buster Douglas.

    Tyson the man was, at times, fearsome, insecure, loyal, introspective, loathsome, addicted, caring, funny and brutally honest.

    “I just kept walking and left the park and went home. I was 10 years old.”

  • Floyd Mayweather sends $20K tax bill to strip club

    Andreas Hale at Boxing 3 mths ago

    For all of the money that Floyd Mayweather makes, the retired boxer is always trying to find a way to make sure he’s taking advantage of every tax break possible. In what is certainly a unique way to save money, Mayweather is seeking to write off a 2014 visit to Larry Flint’s Hustler Club in Las Vegas where the fighter allegedly spent more than $20,000 on strippers.

    According to documents retrieved by the Daily Mail, Mayweather Promotions LLC sent a 1099 tax form to the strip club and wants the club to pay taxes on the $15,000 in singles thrown into the air and $5,000 he and his crew spent at the club on May 25, 2014.

    Obviously, the strip club owner is furious with these claims. Jason Mahoney told the UK publication that he felt “insulted” by Mayweather’s tax bill considering that he’s provided Mayweather’s “The Money Team” free admission, VIP seating and up to 20 bottles of alcohol for free.

    “The reason for doing that is to get a tax write-off, but to me it is falsifying your tax records because he threw the money in the air,” he said. “If he wanted to 1099 somebody he should have gotten the names of all the entertainers he threw the money at.”

  • Canelo and Triple-G agree to fight, but you're going to have to wait for it

    Kevin Iole at Boxing 3 mths ago

    Promoters Oscar De La Hoya and Tom Loeffler met in Los Angeles at the Golden Boy Promotions offices on Wednesday to discuss putting together the long-awaited title fight between linear middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez and WBA/WBC/IBF champion Gennady Golovkin.

    No deal was signed, though De La Hoya, who promotes Alvarez, tweeted following the meeting that the promoters had agreed verbally for Alvarez and Golovkin in September 2017.

    On Tuesday, Tom Loeffler came to @GoldenBoyBoxing's offices and we agreed that the mega fight between @canelo and GGG would occur next fall

    Fans have been clamoring for the fight for nearly a year, but the drumbeat picked up intensity on Nov. 21 after Alvarez defeated Miguel Cotto to win the WBC and linear middleweight belts.

    But Loeffler, who promotes Golovkin, stressed there is still no deal.

    The 15-month delay of pushing the bout to 2017 will allow Alvarez to get comfortable fighting as a fully fledged middleweight and to help Golovkin build his name.