Sean Leahy

  • Panthers acquire Reilly Smith, contract of Marc Savard from Bruins for Jimmy Hayes

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 11 hrs ago

    Chris Pronger isn’t the only inactive NHL player to be switching teams this summer. Marc Savard, or more accurately, Marc Savard’s contract has been dealt to the Florida Panthers along with Reilly Smith from the Boston Bruins in exchange for current restricted free agent Jimmy Hayes.

    Florida had been in on the discussion for Pronger’s $4,941,429 cap hit during the NHL Draft, but instead they’ll add Savard’s $4,027,143 number to help keep them well beyond the salary cap floor. The key for the Panthers is that Savard is only owed $575,000 in salary in each of the next two seasons. 

    Savard suffered two concussions nine months apart and has not played in the NHL since February of 2011.

    "We have a lot of cap space. It made sense,” said Panthers GM Dale Tallon. “They probably wouldn't have done the deal otherwise."

    The move was a precursor to the Bruins signing forward Matt Beleskey to a reasonable five-year, $19 million deal. 

    - - - - - - -

  • Jack Eichel leaves BU, signs entry-level deal with Sabres

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 14 hrs ago

    Another piece of Tim Murray’s plan is falling into place for the Buffalo Sabres.

    As Scott McLoughlin of WEEI and Shawn Stepner of Buffalo’s WKBW reported Wednesday morning, Jack Eichel has left Boston University following his freshman year and has signed with the Sabres. 

    Eichel was the nation’s leading scorer with 71 points, guiding the Terriers to the NCAA title game and taking home the 2015 Hobey Baker Award. The 6-foot-2 forward was the first freshman to win the award since Paul Kariya in 1993.

    “Even though I hadn’t been selected until today, it seems like I’ve been a part of the Buffalo Sabres for a while now,” Eichel said during Draft weekend.

    The No. 2 overall pick in last weekend’s NHL Draft wouldn’t say at the time whether he’d be leaving BU, but all signs indicated he would be with the Sabres for the 2015-16 season. 

    “I just want to be a piece of the puzzle, because Buffalo wants success and wants success soon.”

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Cody Hodgson signs with Predators, hopes for career turnaround

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 15 hrs ago

    Cody Hodgson vowed at the end of the regular season that he would be better next season. He’ll get that chance as a member of the Nashville Predators.

    The Buffalo Sabres placed the 25-year old Hodgson on waivers Monday with the intent of buying him out. He’ll be paid $791,666 over the next eight seasons from the buy out and now $1.05 million next season from the Predators.

    Hodgson scored 44 goals and recorded 99 points over three-and-a-half seasons in Buffalo. This past season, he had the worst production of his NHL career putting up six goal and 13 points in 78 games while his ice time fell six minutes from the 2013-14 campaign.

    The Predators took on a reclamation project last summer in Mike Ribeiro and it worked, at least on the ice. (His off-the-ice issues are a different story.) Hodgson gets the same exact deal that Ribeiro received last summer -- a "prove it" kind of contract.

    It was only two seasons ago Hodgson scored 20 goals and 44 points. The talent is there. Can he turn it around in Nashville?

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Oilers land Andrej Sekera with six-year, $33 million deal

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 16 hrs ago

    The Edmonton Oilers started their shopping early by nabbing center Mark Letestu and defenseman Andrej Sekera 30 minutes into the opening of the free agent period.

    Connor McDavid is now an Oiler. Peter Chiarelli is now running the show as general manager. Todd McLellan is behind the bench. There will be plenty more change coming in Edmonton, and with the amount of young talent already on the roster, this is a big summer for the franchise to finally turn things around.

    Sekera’s deal is six years and worth $33 million. It also includes a no-movement clause.

    The pickup of Sekera is big for the Edmonton defense, an area that needed upgrading. The 29-year old blueliner was dealt in February from Carolina to LA for a conditional first-rounder and prospect Roland McKeown. The Kings only got 16 games out of him since they missed the playoffs, which also meant the pick would be a 2016 one and not one in last weekend’s NHL Draft.

    "I thought about that,” Sekera told TSN of playing on the same team as McDavid. “He's going to be a really good player." 

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

     

  • Brandon Saad ready for change in Columbus

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 17 hrs ago

    Brandon Saad said he was shocked, but understood it’s a business. 

    Saad knew the Chicago Blackhawks would see changes to their roster after a third Stanley Cup in six seasons. He knew the team’s cap issues would force trades. He understood players don’t play with one team their entire careers anymore. Still, it’s was first time being traded. Just two weeks ago he was celebrating another championship. Now he’s a Columbus Blue Jacket.

    “It’s definitely going to be a change,” Saad said Wednesday morning. “At the same time, I’ve watched Columbus in the past and they’ve had some tight playoff series where they’ve played really well."

    The threat of an offer sheet coupled with Chicago’s cap issues forced Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman to make the move. The Blue Jackets are in the midst of working out a contract for Saad, but at the moment, he’s still a restricted free agent and subject to an offer sheet should a team approach his camp with a tempting offer. 

    Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said on a Tuesday conference call that the team will match any offer sheet.

    “My agent is taking care of that side of the business and I’m waiting to hear from him," Saad said.

    - - - - - - -

  • Martin Jones, Sharks agree to three-year, $9 million deal

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 1 day ago

    Hours after the San Jose Sharks acquired Martin Jones, they locked him up with a three-year, $9 million deal, avoiding any threat of an offer sheet for the netminder who was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

    On Tuesday afternoon, the Sharks sent the Boston Bruins a 2016 first-round pick and prospect Sean Kuraly in exchange for Jones, who was traded from the LA Kings to Boston on Saturday during the NHL Draft.

    “Even draft picks, none of those are guaranteed. This is a guy we’ve seen,” said Sharks GM Doug Wilson, via CSN Bay Area. “We know a lot about him. It’s his style, his size – he’s a big goalie and highly competitive. You probably have more information on a player like this than you do a guy that you’d be drafting.”

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Red Wings buy out Stephen Weiss; Mike Green a target?

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 1 day ago

    The Stephen Weiss era in Detroit never really got underway after the forward signed a five-year, $24.9 million deal with the Red Wings in 2013. In two seasons, the former Florida Panthers captain missed 86 games as nagging injuries prevented him from being iproductive.

    On Tuesday, the Red Wings ended Weiss’ time in Detroit, announcing they would be buying out the final three years of his deal.

    According to General Fanager, Detroit will pay Weiss $1.67 million over the next six seasons and carry a $1.066 million cap hit for the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons; a $2.56 million charge in 2017-18; and $1.67 million for the final three years. 

    Via MLive.com, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said cap issues were the driving force behind buying Weiss out this summer as opposed to last year. This season, players like Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Jurco need new deals, while Justin Abdelkader, Riley Sheahan, Petr Mrazek and Danny DeKeyser are just some of the names who will have to be extended next summer.

  • 2016 HHOF class; defensemen get paid; Glendale pays Coyotes (Puck Headlines)

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 1 day ago

    Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at puckdaddyblog@yahoo.com.

    Congrats to @philhousley6 for getting into the #HHOF! Nice reaction! Nice work! @PredsNHL @NHL pic.twitter.com/9vK4OHd16x

    • This is what it looks like when you’re told you’re going into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

    • These players may have missed out in 2015, but have a great shot at making the Hall in 2016. [Grantland]

    • Angela Ruggiero will be the fourth women’s player to be inducted into the Hall. [Free Press]

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Sharks get their goalie, acquire Martin Jones from Bruins

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 1 day ago

    Doug Wilson missed out on Cam Talbot and dealt away Antti Niemi during NHL Draft weekend, leaving the San Jose Sharks without a goaltender as free agency approached.

    But on Tuesday, the Sharks general manager found his man after sending a 2016 first-round pick and unsigned prospect Sean Kuraly to the Bruins for Martin Jones, who had been dealt over the weekend from the Los Angeles Kings to Boston.

    Jones is set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday and Bruins GM Don Sweeney said on a conference call that he was exploring possibilities for the 25-year old netminder.

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Hurricanes waive Alexander Semin, plan to buy him out

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 1 day ago

    After Alex Semin sat in the Carolina Hurricanes’ press box in mid-January as a healthy scratch, his general manager still had faith. “We think we can do it. We’re not giving up on him at all,” said Ron Francis at the time

    Well, the time has come and the Canes have seen enough. On Tuesday, the club announced they were placing Semin on unconditional waivers with the intent of buying out the remaining three years of his contract.

    In 2013, Semin signed a five-year, $35 million deal in the middle of a 13-goal, 44-point lockout-shortened campaign in his first year in Carolina. The extension was signed while the Russian forward was on a one-year, $7 million contract. Both deals were handed to him by former GM Jim Rutherford, who’s now with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY: