Sean Leahy

  • Ted Black out, Russ Brandon in as Buffalo Sabres team president

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 19 hrs ago

    The Buffalo Sabres shook up their executive offices a bit on Monday with the news that they would be replacing Ted Black as President and alternate governor with Russ Brandon, who is currently the Managing Partner and President of the Buffalo Bills, a franchise also owned by Terry Pegula.

    From the Sabres:

    The decision, according to the team, as mutual. But that’s not what Buffalo insiders are saying.

    Source: Pegulas found how operations worked smoothly with Bills, then wondered why Sabres had so many problems. They looked at presidents.

    Source tells me Black wasnt frozen out on Vegas trip but refused to engage with co-workers. He was viewed as a weak leader, administrator.

    Via Vic Carducci of the Buffalo News: “Another source close to the situation said Brandon's ability to ‘combine assets more effectively, leverage combined assets and create a consistent message’ made him a natural to become president of both teams.”

    Now that’s some doubling down.

    MORE FROM YAHOO SPORTS:

  • Datsyuk meets Hulk; Johansson's arbitration ask; Canadian dollar future (Puck Headlines)

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 20 hrs ago

    Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at puckdaddyblog@yahoo.com.

    • Back home in Russia, Pavel Datysuk met up with Zenit and Brazilian footballer Hulk and swapped jerseys. [Nash Football Instagram]

    • Marcus Johansson asks for $4.75 million in arbitraton while the Washington Capitals are seeking an award of $3 million. [RMNB]

    • Craig Morgan lays out the picture for the Arizona Coyotes over the next two years in regards to their future. [Fox Sports Arizona

    • Carl Soderberg talks about why he chose to sign with the Colorado Avalanche. [Denver Post]

  • Colin Wilson, Predators avoid arbitration, agree to 4-year, $15.75 million pact

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 21 hrs ago

    Colin Wilson and the Nashville Predators have avoided a Tuesday arbitration hearing and agreed to a four-year, $15.75 million extension. The AVV lands at $3.9375 million.

    David Poile had an idea in mind for his two restricted free agents in Wilson and Craig Smith. "Four years, something like that, probably makes sense,” he told the Tennessean last month. He able to make that idea a reality in the span of a week.

    Smith and the Poile went through with their hearing last week, but settled on a five-year, $21.75 million deal while the arbitrator was making an award decision. Wilson and the Preds didn’t need to travel to Toronto and plead their cases. They found a sweet spot in negotiations.

    According to the team, Wilson will make $3.75M this season and $4M annually in the final three seasons of the deal.

    MORE FROM YAHOO SPORTS:

  • Braden Holtby, Capitals agree to 5-year, $30.5 million extension

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 3 days ago

    Braden Holtby didn’t get the $8 million he was asking in arbitration, but that wasn’t expected. He did, however, get a well-deserved raise as the 25-year old netminder and the Washington Capitals came to an agreement Friday on a five-year, $30.5 million extension.

    The two sides did go through with an arbitration hearing Thursday, and the arbitrator had until early Saturday afternoon to come to a decision. The Capitals were seeking $5.1 million, while Holtby aimed high hoping for something in the middle. 

    From the Capitals:

    “Braden emerged as a top NHL goaltender and we are pleased to sign him to a long-term contract,” said Capitals GM Brian MacLellan. “We feel Braden is just entering his prime and in his young career has already established himself as one of the best goaltenders in the history of our franchise. He is an athletic goaltender with a tremendous work ethic and is a big part of our future.” 

    MORE FROM YAHOO SPORTS:

  • Canadiens take on Alex Semin with 1-year, $1.1 million deal

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 3 days ago

    What's the perfect example of a "low risk/high reward" signing in the NHL? It's Alexander Semin signing a one-year, $1.1 million deal with the Montreal Canadiens, which the 31-year old forward did on Friday.

    From the Habs:

    “We are very pleased to have reached a short term agreement with Alexander Semin. Alex is a pure goal scorer with a good shot. We believe his addition to our group of forwards will strengthen our offensive production and our powerplay. A veteran winger with size, Semin has reached the 20-goal plateau seven times since the beginning of his NHL career 12 years ago. His signing represents a great opportunity for the organization and for Alex’s career,” said general manager Marc Bergevin.

    Semin was bought out earlier this month by the Carolina Hurricanes after three years in Raleigh. The Hurricanes owe Semin $14 million over the next six years, so his signing with a new NHL team would be about the best fit and not the price tag.

  • Lou Lamoriello prepared to be patient as Maple Leafs' turnaround continues

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 4 days ago

    Nearly four hours after the initial news broke, the shock still hadn’t worn off. Much like in May when Mike Babcock was introduced in front of a big Toronto Maple Leafs backdrop, seeing Lou Lamoriello surrounded by blue and white rather than the red and black we’ve been accustomed to was every bit as jarring.

    Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan has known Lamoriello since he was drafted by the New Jersey Devils in 1987. That relationship lasted throughout Shanahan’s playing career and continued into his post-hockey life as an executive, which played a big role in the hiring.

    “I can tell you that if I want anyone recruited anywhere to go anywhere, I’m sending Brendan,” Lamoriello said during a Thursday afteroon press conference. 

    "Everyone concerns themselves with the team on the ice; the team off the ice precedes the team on the ice. I think we're set up very good."

  • Dominic Moore talks Smashfest 2015, NHL ping-pong rivalries (Puck Daddy Interview)

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 6 days ago

    The scene was inside the Toronto Maple Leafs’ dressing room during an episode of  HBO: 24/7 . In the middle of the room was a ping-pong table with Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf as the two combatants.

    A similar scene can be found around dressing rooms across the NHL and that was one reason why Dominic Moore thought a ping-pong tournament would make for a great charity event. 

    On Thursday night inside Steam Whistle Brewery in Toronto, around 28 NHL players will participate in Smashfest 2015 to play some ping-pong, interact with fans and most importantly, help raise money and awareness for the Katie Moore Foundation, named after the New York Rangers forward’s late wife, and the Steve Moore Foundation, named after Moore’s brother who suffered a career-ending injury in 2004

    Enjoy.

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO SPORTS:

  • Amanda Kessel's NCAA career ends due to concussion

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 6 days ago

    The University of Minnesota women’s hockey team will begin the defense of their 2015 national title in late September, but again will not feature one of the program’s and USA Hockey’s biggest stars.

    Amanda Kessel, who led the Gophers all three seasons she played, will miss her second consecutive season due to a concussion suffered before the 2014 Olympics in Sochi. Gopher coach Brad Frost confirmed the news to Brad Schlossman of the Grand Forks Herald.

    Playing in the 2014 Games and then missing all of last season caused Kessel to use up her redshirt availability. Her decision to not play her senior season means her collegiate career is over. The focus continues to be on her health.

    According to Frost, Kessel did not attend school last season, but may do so this season. 

    "It's just not worth it for her and her health," Frost said.

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO SPORTS:

  • Craig Smith, Predators agree to 5-year, $21.25 million extension

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 7 days ago

    Craig Smith was looking for $4.75 million in arbitration. The Nashville Predators felt like $3 million was an appropriate salary for the 25-year old forward. They’ve settled for an average of $4.25 million over five years.

    “As evidenced by his back-to-back 20-goal seasons and performance in the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Craig Smith is an integral part of our team’s young core and we are pleased to have agreed on a long-term contract that both parties are comfortable with,” Predatos GM David Poile said in a statement. “With Craig’s durability, work ethic and intensity, we see him continuing the build on his recent production and be a valuable contributor to our offensive attack for the next five seasons.”

    According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, Smith and the Predators went through with their scheduled arbitration hearing on Monday. The arbitrator then had 48 hours to come to a decision once the hearing concluded, but Poile and Smith’s agent came to a happy medium with the AAV and the forward gets some great security with the five-year deal. 

  • Oilers to honor Sather; Nicholls talks concussion lawsuit; Kopitar talks starting (Puck Headlines)

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 7 days ago

    Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at puckdaddyblog@yahoo.com. 

    • Four rings. Two greats. [Jagr Facebook]

    • The Edmonton Oilers will honor former player, head coach, president and general manager Glen Sather with a banner inside Rexall Place during a pre-game ceremony on Dec. 11. [Oilers]

    • Former NHLer Bernie Nicholls pens a piece explaining why he’s part of the concussion lawsuit against the league. [NY Daily News

    • Extension talks between Anze Kopitar and the LA Kings are now in the early stages and expected to pick up over the next 30 days. [LA Kings Insider]

    • Finally, a couple of South Korean hockey players got a shot at Dallas Stars development camp:

    MORE FROM YAHOO SPORTS: