Sean Leahy

  • Sharks get their goalie, acquire Martin Jones from Bruins

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 26 mins ago

    Doug Wilson missed out on Cam Talbot and dealt away Antti Niemi during NHL Draft weekend, leaving the San Jose Sharks without a goaltender as free agency approached.

    But on Tuesday, the Sharks general manager found his man after sending a 2016 first-round pick and unsigned prospect Sean Kuraly to the Bruins for Martin Jones, who had been dealt over the weekend from the Los Angeles Kings to Boston.

    Jones is set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday and Bruins GM Don Sweeney said on a conference call that he was exploring possibilities for the 25-year old netminder.

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Hurricanes waive Alexander Semin, plan to buy him out

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 1 hr ago

    After Alex Semin sat in the Carolina Hurricanes’ press box in mid-January as a healthy scratch, his general manager still had faith. “We think we can do it. We’re not giving up on him at all,” said Ron Francis at the time

    Well, the time has come and the Canes have seen enough. On Tuesday, the club announced they were placing Semin on unconditional waivers with the intent of buying out the remaining three years of his contract.

    In 2013, Semin signed a five-year, $35 million deal in the middle of a 13-goal, 44-point lockout-shortened campaign in his first year in Carolina. The extension was signed while the Russian forward was on a one-year, $7 million contract. Both deals were handed to him by former GM Jim Rutherford, who’s now with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Patrick Kane continues 'Summer with Stanley' with a little karaoke (Video)

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 3 hrs ago

    Patrick Kane told us it was coming. During the Chicago Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup parade earlier this month, the forward ended his speech at Soldier Field by saying, “I know you said I've been growing up, but watch out for me the next week.”

    There haven’t been any crazy drunken sightings of “Showtime” since then, but Kane and the Cup have made their way around Chicago since. On Saturday night, in what is now tradition, they appeared on stage at a Jimmy Buffet concert, with Kane working the tambourine.

    After the concert, still donning his Parrothead hat, Kane stopped at Riley’s Gathering Place to do a little karaoke, Tom Petty-style:

    According to the Chicago Sun-Times, once Kane finished “Free Falling,” one of the Cup keepers brought the trophy into the bar for fans to enjoy.

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Bruins send 2017 3rd-round pick to Flyers for Zac Rinaldo

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 21 hrs ago

    "I think we lost our team identity this year. We weren't as tough a team to play against as we'd like to be, and as we were in year's past.”

    Those were the words of Boston Bruins president Cam Neely at the end of the regular season; one in which he watched his team fail to qualify for the playoffs on the final day.  

    Well, if Neely was looking to get back to the Big Bad Bruins days, acquiring Zac Rinaldo will help you get there. 

    On Monday, GM Don Sweeney kept making moves by trading a 2017 3rd-round pick to the Philadelphia Flyers for 25-year old Rinaldo.

    Here’s what the Bruins will get in Rinaldo, from Travis Hughes of Broadstreet Hockey, a Flyers blog:

    Boy, what do you think Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara are thinking after the last several days? 

    That’s a successful way to start your off-season.

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Stars ink Antti Niemi to three-year, $13.5 million deal

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 23 hrs ago

    The Dallas Stars have signed Antti Niemi to a three-year, $13.5 million deal, committing themselves to $10.4 million in goal for the next three seasons.

    Locking up Niemi doesn’t mean Kari Lehtonen is going anywhere, even coming off a down season. Stars GM Jim Nill said his thought process on acquiring and then signing Niemi was to solidify the goaltending position.

    “Kari is still an elite goalie,” Nill said on Saturday after the NHL Draft. “We just, we’re in a tough situation with our travel. We have as much travel as anybody in the league and back-to-back games.

    "I really think it’s becoming a two-goalie league now You look around the league, the teams that have a lot of success, it’s because of two goalies and the pressure to win. Injuries. We have cap room right now. We know we have to improve this position and we went this direction.”

    “You lose a goalie and don't have a good person to bring in to fill that position,” said Nill, “3-4 wins could be the difference in making the playoffs or missing it.”

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Sabres place Cody Hodgson on waivers; buyout coming

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 1 day ago

    The Buffalo Sabres could have given Cody Hodgson a two-year bridge deal in 2013, but decided on a six-year, $25.5 million pact instead. Nearly two years later, the winger has been put on unconditional waivers by the team with the intent of buying out his contract. 

    Hodgson was dealt to the Sabres at the 2012 trade deadline from the Vancouver Canucks and in three-and-a-half seasons tallied 44 goals and 99 points. This past season was his worst during his tenure in Buffalo where he scored six goals and 13 points over 78 games while watching his ice time diminish nearly six minutes compared to the previous two seasons. As Bill Hoppe of the Olean Times Herald pointed out, the 25-year old had goal droughts of 19, 27 and 47 games in 2014-15.

    Things started so promising in Buffalo, though…

    The NHL’s buyout period ends Tuesday at 5 p.m. ET.

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY:

  • Devan Dubnyk, Wild agree to six-year, $25 million extension

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 2 days ago

    All Chuck Fletcher has wanted is stability in goal. He hopes he got that on Saturday after the Minnesota Wild agreed to a six-year, $25 million extension Devan Dubnyk.

    The Wild used four goaltenders during the 2012-13 season, five last season and four in 2014-15. So you can see why giving Dubnyk six years will give Fletcher and the Wild hope that they’ve found their guy to man the nets into the next decade. 

    From Mike Russo of the Star Tribune, who broke the story:

    On the risk of giving Dubnyk such term after half a season of great play, Fletcher said, "He’s 29 years old. He’s entering the prime of his career. He’s had some good seasons in Edmonton and had a great season this year. We’re not asking him to duplicate what he did this year every year. Maybe that’s not realistic, but we believe he can be a good goaltender in this league. He's right at the stage of his career where he's ready to take off.”

    - - - - - - -

  • Flames' Oliver Kylington to use NHL Draft drop as motivation

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 3 days ago

    SUNRISE, Fla. — The waiting was the hardest part for Oliver Kylington. The 18-year defenseman from Sweden was pegged by many as a first rounder, but fell to 60th and the Calgary Flames.

    “It was a bit tough,” he said after the selection. “I was nervous sitting there and waiting, but I’m just happy now be part of the NHL and part of the Calgary Flames.”

    Kylington said he had a clue he’d go anywhere from 15, which Calgary originally had before dealing it as part of the Dougie Hamilton trade, to the second round, but he knew to expect the unexpected. The Flames had expressed interest, speaking with him in Stockholm and again during the NHL Combine earlier this month in Buffalo. 

    The 6-foot, 185 lbs. blueliner played 35 games between Farjsted and AIK last season, posting 6 goals and 12 points. He was also busy internationally, repping Sweden at the U-18s and with the U-20 team.

    Kylington is still under contract with AIK and will play there next season. After that, he has a clause in his deal allowing him to leave, but that decision is a ways down the line. 

    - - - - - - -

  • Stars acquire Antti Niemi's negotiating rights for 7th-round pick

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 3 days ago

    Kari Lehtonen’s time in Dallas may not be for long, or Stars GM Jim Nill wants to go heavy on experience in net next season.

    Not long into the start of Round 2 of the NHL Draft on Saturday, the Stars acquired the negotiating rights to Antti Niemi from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for pick No. 193. Niemi is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, so Nill has until Wednesday to work out a deal. 

    "Antti is a proven goaltender, who has played and succeeded at the highest levels," Nill said. "He's one of the hardest working goalies out there and we look forward to working towards an agreement.”

    Lehtonen saw a bit of a career turnaround after being dealt from Atlanta in 2010. From last season he dropped off. After posting even-strength save percentages of .926, .924 and .925, he put up a .909 number in 2014-15. 

    With Niemi gone, this leaves San Jose with only Alex Stalock, Troy Grosenick and Joel Rumpel as goalies under contract in their organization. The Sharks were in on Cam Talbot, but with him now being in Edmonton, GM Doug Wilson will have to look elsewhere.

    - - - - - - -

  • Why Arizona Coyotes didn't trade the No. 3 pick

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 3 days ago

    SUNRISE, Fla. — Don Maloney knew that Dylan Strome would be his pick once the NHL Draft Lottery determined the Arizona Coyotes would be selecting No. 3 Friday night. The only thing that would change that was whether he would deal the pick after a number of teams showed interest.

    The Coyotes were in on the Dougie Hamilton sweepstakes. It would have been a move that would cause Maloney to trade out the third spot. The idea of Hamilton and Oliver Ekman-Larsson on the blueline for the next decade was tempting, but he kept coming back to the feeling he needed to fill a hole down the middle.

    “At the end the day I just felt the only way to build a champion is you have to have a center ice that’s strong,” Maloney said after Round 1 at the BB&T Center.

    Maloney said he received two “signifcant" offers to deal No. 3 outright, without a pick coming back in return. But his mind kept returning to need, and the only way he would deal out of that spot would be if he was assured Strome would still be there.

    “We felt he was the best for our franchise now and in the future,” he said. 

    “We feel like if you look at our roster going forward, up front we’re starting to shape up,” he said.