Sean Leahy

  • Jim Rutherford gets three-year extension from Penguins

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 7 hrs ago

    Jim Rutherford has had a pretty good couple of weeks.

    He won a second Stanley Cup on June 12, was named General Manager of the Year at the NHL Awards on June 24 and today signed a three-year extension with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

    All of that has been deserved after the job he did in the last year remodeling the Penguins following a first-round playoff exit in 2015. He acquired Phil Kessel last July 1 and replaced head coach Mike Johnston with Mike Sullivan in December following a disastrous start to the season. A few shrewd trades and a system overhaul later, and Pittsburgh brought home its fourth Cup.

    After stepping down as Carolina Hurricanes in GM in 2014, Rutherford replaced Ray Shero in Pittsburgh weeks later. “I would suspect the term for me is probably two or three years here,” he said at the time. Has that plan changed? According to the Penguins, the new deal replaces his old one and runs through the 2018-19 season. Where does this leave the likes of assistant GMs Jason Botterill and Bill Guerin, who have served as his mentees?

    – – – – – – –

  • Thomas Vanek takes one-year, $2.6 million deal with Red Wings

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 7 hrs ago

    Thomas Vanek will move on to his fifth team in the last four seasons after signing a one-year, $2.6 million deal with the Detroit Red Wings.

    The deal comes one week after the 32-year-old Vanek saw the final year of his deal with the Minnesota Wild bought out by the club.

    Detroit was looking for help in their top six and feel they have with Fran Nielsen and now Vanek. Having another right-handed shot up front also helps as well.

    Vanek’s stock, however, has fallen quite far the last several years. Once a guy you could pencil in for 25 goals and 60 points, he’s slowly declined. Following a solid 21-goal, 52 point campaign in 2014-15, his first in Minnesota, he found himself a healthy scratch at times last season with the Wild.

    Why Detroit? Vanek told TSN he likes the setup the Red Wings have down the middle and it’s a fit where he feels he can succeed playing his game.

    “I still know I can score goals in this league for a few more years,” he said.

    – – – – – – –

  • Lightning extend Andrei Vasilevskiy; bye-bye Bishop?

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 8 hrs ago

    Not long after the Tampa Bay Lightning announced the re-signing of Victor Hedman, they extended 21-year-old netminder Andre Vasilevskiy for three years at $3.5 million per season.

    That sound you just heard was Ben Bishop checking out houses in Dallas.

    Vasilevskiy made 24 regular season starts in 2015-16 but really came through for Tampa when Bishop went down with injury in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final and helped push the series against the Pittsburgh Penguins to seven games.

    “He wanted to show Tampa that he’s prepared to commit and let’s see what happens,” Vasilevskiy’s agent told Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times. “He just wanted to show what he can do, wanted to be part of the organization. He could have waited a year, but he wanted to show he’s a team player.”

    “Very happy for him and very excited about that tandem moving forward.”

    – – – – – – –

  • Alex Radulov back in NHL after signing one-year deal with Canadiens

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 9 hrs ago

    Alex Radulov is indeed bringing his talents back to the NHL, despite what was reported over the weekend.

    The soon-to-be 30-year-old forward has signed a one-year, $5.75 million deal with the Montreal Canadiens, which should really ease those negative feelings fans are still experiencing following the P.K. Subban trade.

    Radulov has spent the last four years with CSKA scoring 78 goals and 238 points in 131 games.

    Sources has told TSN last month that Radulov was looking for something along the lines of two years at $7.5 million per season.

    If you’ll recall, Radulov and new teammate Shea Weber were on that Predators team in 2012 when the Russian forward was benched for a playoff game following a curfew violation.

    – – – – – – –

  • Red Wings land Frans Nielsen with six-year, $31.5 million deal

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 11 hrs ago

    While the New York Islanders added Andrew Ladd and Jason Chimera early in free agency, they also said goodbye to a trio of players.

    With Matt Martin still shopping his services and Kyle Okposo moving on to Buffalo, Frans Nielsen, the team’s longest-tenured player, signed a six-year, $31.5 million deal with the Detroit Red Wings.

    Nielsen, a third-round pick by New York in 2002, will help the Red Wings’ middle of the road special teams. He was tied for second on the Islanders in 2015-16 with seven power play goals and tied for first with two shorthanded tallies.

    Nielsen told TSN after signing that after such a long time in New York he felt it was time to try something new.

    A versatile forward, Nielsen will fill Detroit’s need for a top-six forward following Pavel Datysuk’s exit and likely take over second-line center duties.

    – – – – – – –

  • Steven Stamkos glad 'stressful' free agency process is over

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 1 day ago

    The sleepless nights were there for Steven Stamkos. As he approached unrestricted free agency for the first time in his NHL career, he couldn’t help but allow thoughts of potentially playing somewhere other than Tampa slip into his head.

    But at the end of the day, he was able to stick with the intentions he’d stated all along and re-sign with the Lightning.

    “It’s been a great eight years that I’ve been there,” Stamkos said during a Thursday conference call with reporters. “I grew up as a kid there and this team is on the verge of hopefully competing for Stanley Cups for years to come. Being the captain and being a leader of that team I felt in my heart that that was always the place I wanted to stay. I know the process took a lot longer than maybe both parties would have liked, but it was an experience, and every decision in life you just want to make the best decision at the end of the day.”

    “For me, it was just following your heart and being loyal to an organization that has brought me up and has made me the player and the person that I am today,” he said.

    – – – – – – –

  • Boll, Carle, Seidenberg among those set to be bought out

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 1 day ago

    Free Agent Frenzy kicks off Friday at noon ET and NHL teams are continuing to find ways to free up extra salary cap space in order to try and improve their rosters this summer.

    In all, 14 buyouts were used this month, and some general managers decided to use the option before Thursday’s deadline.

    Getting the “waived for intention to buy out” treatment are Matt Carle, Lauri Korpikoski, Jared Boll, Dennis Seidenberg, Matt Greene and Barret Jackman, per Bob McKenzie. If and when they clear waivers on Friday, their respective contracts will be buy out.

    Here’s who hit the wire on Thursday:

    Boll: The Columbus Blue Jackets will save $1.134 million on their cap this season for buying out the final year of the 30-year-old forward’s deal who, along Fedor Tyutin was one of team’s longest-tenured players. The Blue Jackets will have a $566,666 hit on their cap for the next two seasons. After buying out Tyutin and re-signing Seth Jones, Columbus had just over $42,000 in space on Wednesday. They’re now up to $4.467 million in room.

    (All cap information via General Fanager)

    – – – – – – –

  • Sharks sign Tomas Hertl to two-year, $6 million bridge deal

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 2 days ago

    Tomas Hertl is likely smiling as usual today after signing a two-year, $6 million extension with the San Jose Sharks, per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.

    The 22-year-old Hertl scored 21 goals and 46 points in 81 points with the Sharks in 2015-16. He was also a big factor in San Jose’s run to the Stanley Cup Final with six goals and 11 points in 20 playoff games. His $3 million salary is a nice raise from the $925,000 he made the last three seasons.

    Hertl was one of four Sharks restricted free agents issued qualifying offers on Tuesday, joining Ryan Carptener, Matt Nieto and Dylan DeMelo. It’s a solid deal for San Jose with a reasonable cap hit and keeps the young forward an RFA when the deal expires in 2018. It also gives GM Doug Wilson some flexibility to dip into the UFA market beginning Friday as the team has just over $9 million in cap space, according to General Fanager.

    – – – – – – –

  • Isles' Josh Ho-Sang a changed man after 2015 camp dismissal

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 2 days ago

    Josh Ho-Sang didn’t last long during New York Islanders training camp last September. On Day 1, the second of their two 2014 first-round selections was late, prompting GM Garth Snow to send him home.

    Of course, before Ho-Sang was officially dismissed the team made him run the stairs at Nassau Coliseum for a couple of hours.

    Nine months later, Ho-Sang is back on Long Island for the team’s prospect development camp following a solid season with Niagara of the OHL where he posted 19 goals and 82 points in 66 games, helping the Ice Dogs reach the league final.

    Despite his very public exit from camp, there was no sit-down with Snow during the year to discuss what happened.

    “They don’t really have to talk to me,” he said. “They sent the message pretty clear last year.”

    Now 20, the experience, Ho-Sang says, has changed him for the better.

    – – – – – – –

  • Canucks fined $50,000 for GM's comments about Stamkos, Subban

    Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy 3 days ago

    The Vancouver Canucks will be cutting a $50,000 check to the National Hockey League after they were fined following comments made by general manager Jim Benning last week about Steven Stamkos and P.K. Subban.

    “Canucks General Manager Jim Benning violated the provisions of NHL By-Law 15 relating to inappropriate public comments by speaking generally to his Club’s potential interest in players under contract to other NHL Clubs,” said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly in a statement.

    “I spoke with Jim and accept his representation that he intended no harm with his comments and that he will handle similar questions from the media differently in the future.”

    In a statement Benning said, “Last week I was trying to be candid with our fans and media about our efforts to improve our team but said too much about players on other teams. I have spoken personally to the NHL and the General Managers involved to apologize and I accept the League’s ruling.” 

    - - - - - - -

    MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY: