Rand Getlin at Yahoo Sports 12 days ago
San Francisco 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman received clearance to practice next week, a league source told Yahoo Sports on Saturday.
Bowman was sidelined since tearing his ACL and MCL in his knee during January's NFC championship game against the Seattle Seahawks.
Bowman told ESPN last Sunday that he was suffering pain in his surgically repaired knee, however, the source attributed that to standard aches and pains of rehab.
A potential in-season return for Bowman would give the 49ers (5-4) a welcomed boost to their linebacking corps, which took a hit when Patrick Willis was ruled out for the season on Tuesday with a toe injury. The 49ers also got back pass rusher Aldon Smith after he served a nine-game suspension.
Rand Getlin at Yahoo Sports 24 days ago
Dallas Cowboys management has significant concerns about giving star wideout Dez Bryant a massive guarantee in a long-term contract based, in part, on off-field concerns with Bryant, multiple league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The Cowboys have assisted Bryant in dealing with anger management and related issues, including setting up sessions with behavioral specialists and therapists, according to sources familiar with the team's efforts and thinking. According to multiple sources, the Cowboys have made a number of contract offers to the wide receiver that provided him with meaningful financial guarantees, while providing protections for themselves if any off-field issues came to affect his ability to perform on the field.
For his part, Bryant has pushed for the Cowboys to give him a deal that is in line with the market for the game's elite wide receivers. In guaranteed money, Detroit's Calvin Johnson leads the pack with $48.75 million.
Though the Kansas City Chiefs and two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Justin Houston have engaged in discussions on a long-term deal for nearly a year, the two sides remain "worlds apart," multiple sources familiar with the negotiations told Yahoo Sports.
It appears likely that Houston, who is in the final year of his contract, will either enter free agency or be given the franchise tag, according to multiple sources.
Houston, 25, has cemented himself as one of the league's premier outside linebackers. He has 36 1/2 career sacks, 21 in his last 18 regular-season games. Since his rookie year in 2011, he has missed only five games (dislocated elbow). His salary this season is about $1.59 million.
At 6-foot-3, 258 pounds, Houston is far from one-dimensional. His athleticism and motor allow him to play the run very well and he has proven his ability to drop back and contribute in pass coverage.
In 2011, the Chiefs gave linebacker Tamba Hali a five-year deal through 2016 that pays him an average annual salary of $11.5 million. Since the start of the 2013 season, Hali has had fewer sacks and fewer tackles than Houston despite playing in four more games.
Free-agent quarterback Terrelle Pryor worked out with the New York Giants on Tuesday, a league source told Yahoo Sports.
Since getting cut by the Seattle Seahawks in late August, Pryor has also worked out with the Cleveland Browns (last week) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (in September).
The workouts have been purely as a quarterback, as the athletic Ohio State product is insistent on sticking with his primary position.
The Giants, who are in their bye week, also reportedly worked out running back Felix Jones.
Chicago will be the host city for the 2015 NFL draft, a league source told Yahoo Sports on Thursday.
The three-day event, which will begin on April 30, is moving from New York, a site the league has used since 1965.
Los Angeles was the other finalist to host next year's event.
The league is expected to formally announce the draft's site at the fall meetings in New York next week, NFL.com reported.
The Chicago Bears' official Twitter account tweeted:
2015 NFL Draft will be held in Chicago next April 30-May 2 at Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University.
Twelve cities were in the running to host the draft after the league failed to secure New York's Radio City Music Hall for the dates it wanted.
The New York Jets signed fullback John "The Terminator" Conner to a one-year deal, a league source told Yahoo Sports.
Conner is expected to replace Tommy Bohanon, who broke his clavicle in Sunday's defeat to the Detroit Lions, an injury that head coach Rex Ryan called "major."
Conner is no stranger to the Jets, earning fame as a favorite of Ryan's during the team's run on the HBO series "Hard Knocks" in 2010. This marks Conner's third stint with the Jets in his four-year career. He played for them in his first two seasons in the league, and three games with New York in 2012.
Conner played his 2013 season with the New York Giants and was among the last cuts for the team in August.
Houston Rockets guard Jason Terry and Philadelphia Eagles tight end Brent Celek are among five athletes who were awarded more than $7.5 million following an arbitration against SunTrust Bank, according to legal documents obtained by Yahoo Sports.
The group, which included former Eagles A.J. Feeley and Kevin Curtis and former Olympic soccer player Heather Mitts, who is married to Feeley, was asking for roughly $8 million in alleged investment losses from the bank, its employees and affiliates. They were part of a larger group of nine players who sought in excess of $17.4 million in total.
"We were always confident in the legal process," said the players' attorney, Andrew Smith of Philadelphia-based law firm, SmithBridge LLP. "We believed that justice would prevail and we're certainly pleased with this result."
In a January 2010 press release, SunTrust announced Crafton – who claimed upward of $22.4 million in potential liabilities in a 2013 bankruptcy filing – was joining their Sports and Entertainment Specialty Group as a co-heads of the bank's San Diego office.
More NFL coverage:
Billionaire oil tycoon Terry Pegula officially divested his interest in Five Star Athlete Management, a prominent sports agency he purchased in 2011, clearing the way for he and his wife, Kim, to complete their purchase of the Buffalo Bills for an NFL record $1.4 billion.
After the league finance committee unanimously approved the purchase agreement between the Pegulas and the Bills, the divesting move was the last formal step necessary for the Pegulas to complete their deal without complication. NFL owners will vote to approve the sale of the team at league meetings in October.
As owner of Five Star, which is currently headed by veteran agent Todd France, the firm represented over 50 NFL players including Pro Bowlers Vernon Davis, Demaryius Thomas and Aqib Talib. France has retaken full ownership and control of the firm, a source familiar with the transaction indicated.
"Like I said back in 2011, it was a huge honor to be hand-picked by Terry and Kim to acquire my agency," France said. "Being involved with such great people was an amazing experience. I couldn't be happier for them as they work toward finalizing becoming the next owner of the Buffalo Bills."
The St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn signed a four-year contract extension on Saturday that was widely reported to be worth $66 million, including $41.2 million guaranteed, but the actual value of Quinn's guarantee is far less than that, according to contract analysis conducted by Yahoo Sports. In fact, Quinn's extension fully guarantees him only $15.7 million at the time of signing.
Initially reported figures for NFL contracts are rarely "fully guaranteed." Instead, those numbers generally include partial guarantees, which can misrepresent the amount of money a player actually stands to make. For instance, J.J. Watt was reported to have received $51.8 million guaranteed from the Houston Texans, when the actual fully guaranteed number at the time of signing was $30.8 million, according to Yahoo Sports' contract analysis.
If Watt were to suffer a catastrophic injury under the same scenario as the one posed for Quinn, he'd receive $30.8 million based on the language in the six-year extension he recently signed.
Star defensive end Robert Quinn and the St. Louis Rams are close to an agreement on a multi-year extension, a league source told Yahoo Sports.
There is optimism in Quinn's camp that a deal can get done before Week 3, the source said. Quinn is believed to be targeting a deal that would pay him in the $15 million per season range on a four- to six-year extension.
Quinn, a first-round draft pick in 2011, led the Rams with a career-high 19 sacks last season. He also forced seven fumbles in a Pro Bowl season that saw only one man, Indianapolis' Robert Mathis, have more sacks than him.
As a No. 14 overall pick, the University of North Carolina product was one of 11 defensive linemen in the 2011 first-round draft class. Selected ahead of him were Buffalo's Marcell Dareus, Houston's J.J. Watt and Detroit's Nick Fairley.
Watt recently set the market for star defensive linemen after signing a reported $100 million deal that included a $51.87 million signing bonus, a record deal for a defensive player.
The Rams picked up the fifth-year option on Quinn's current deal in August. He's scheduled to make about $3 million this season and about $6.9 million in 2015.