Nick Bromberg

  • Baylor doesn't have to release police sexual assault records

    Nick Bromberg at Dr. Saturday 8 hrs ago

    The Texas attorney general's office is not requiring Baylor to release police records relating to sexual assaults committed by two former football players.

    The records were requested by both the Associated Press and ESPN's Outside the Lines. According to the state, the release of the records would violate the privacy of the victims in the assaults.

    From the AP:

    In arguing that the records should remain private, Wheelus says that the party requesting the information knows the names of the victims, so releasing the records would result in making public "highly intimate or embarrassing details."

    The AG's office, headed by Attorney General and Baylor graduate Ken Paxton, declined further comment on the opinion.

    Elliott is currently serving 20 years in prison after he was convicted of two counts of sexual assault in 2014 for a 2012 incident at a party.

    Baylor, a private university, is subject to state open records laws after laws changed in 2015 that made the records of campus police open to be requested.

    - - - - - - -

  • Wood Brothers Racing no longer part of Race Team Alliance

    Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles 9 hrs ago

    Wood Brothers Racing said Friday that it's no longer part of the Race Team Alliance.

    The team did not get one of the 36 charters granted as part of NASCAR's new ownership structure.Teams that got charters had competed full-time in the Sprint Cup Series for the past three seasons. The Wood Brothers, who have been in NASCAR since 1953, haven't run a full-time schedule since after the 2008 season. The team is returning to full-time racing in 2016 with Ryan Blaney.

    “Around this time last year, the owners group invited us to be a part of their discussions," Wood Brothers Racing business director Jon Wood said. "The first time that we went to one of those meetings was the weekend of the 600 in May. It was at that point when we sort of saw the proposed framework and the direction that they were wanting to go. It was fairly close to what it turned out being. That being said, we kind of knew right then that if it went down that road that it would certainly change things for us but we didn’t know if that was it yet."

    - - - - - - -

  • HScott Motorsports leases charter for Michael Annett in 2016

    Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles 10 hrs ago

    The first lease of a charter under NASCAR's new ownership agreement is done.

    HScott Motorsports has leased the charter granted to Premium Motorsports for the 2016 season. The lease guarantees Michael Annett will have a starting spot in every race in 2016. Premium Motorsports, which is fielding a full-time car for Cole Whitt, will have to qualify on speed every week.

    "The new Charter License structure is the result of monumental and unprecedented cooperation between NASCAR and the teams that will further advance the sport into the foreseeable future," owner Harry Scott said in a statement. "The Charter System provides equity and certainty necessary for owners to build a successful business plan and maintain the health of their investment that will benefit fans and sponsors."

    HScott was granted a charter for the 2016 season for Clint Bowyer's No. 15 team. To get a charter, a car had to participate full-time in the Cup Series from 2013-2015. HScott expanded to two teams in 2015 when Annett joined Justin Allgaier to form a two-car team.

  • Report: Michigan recruiting trips cost over $130K in late January 2015

    Nick Bromberg at Dr. Saturday 11 hrs ago

    Recruits may consider talk from coaches during the recruiting process to be cheap at times, but University of Michigan records show that the practice of recruiting certainly isn't.

    According to records obtained by USA Today, Michigan spent approximately $136,000 for head coach Jim Harbaugh and his assistants to recruit in late January 2015. It was Harbaugh's first month as the Wolverines' coach after he parted ways with the San Francisco 49ers.

    Traveling alone or being accompanied by as many as three assistants at a time, Harbaugh racked up 18 jet-travel legs from Jan. 19 through Jan. 30. There were another five “dead” legs involving no passengers, and an assistant coach had one solo travel leg. There was only day during that period for which no private-jet trips were logged.

    Altogether, the total value came to nearly $136,000.

    For more Michigan news, visit TheWolverine.com.

    - - - - - - -

    Follow @NickBromberg

  • Homer History: Alex Gordon ties Game 1 of the 2015 World Series

    Nick Bromberg at Big League Stew 13 hrs ago

    Ninety feet.

    The phrase haunted Kansas Citians all throughout the 2014-15 offseason. If you mentioned the distance to anyone in the metro area no matter the context, you wouldn’t get a quizzical look. Everyone knew what it meant.

    [2016 Yahoo Fantasy Baseball is open for business. Sign up now]

    Ninety feet is the distance that separated Royals left fielder Alex Gordon from the tying run in the bottom of the ninth of Game 7 of the 2014 World Series. Gordon, as you know, hit a should-have-been single to the left-center gap with two outs. Gregor Blanco misplayed the ball and it rolled to the wall. Gordon made it to third, where he was held by third-base coach Mike Jirschele.

    Ninety feet from possibly the greatest Game 7 moment in World Series history.

    — 

    The Royals trailed 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth in Game 1 of the 2015 World Series. The New York Mets had just inserted closer Jeurys Familia, he of the 96 MPH fastball and 93 MPH split-finger fastball. Gordon was due up second in the inning after catcher Sal Perez. 

    Perez grounded out. 

    Gordon took the first pitch, a 97 MPH fastball, for a ball.

    — 

    Ninety feet from home. 

    — 

    — 

    ---

    - - - - - - -

  • It's official: Brian Vickers to drive for Tony Stewart at Daytona

    Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles 14 hrs ago

    Stewart-Haas Racing officially announced Brian Vickers as the driver of the No. 14 car at Daytona.

    Vickers is replacing Tony Stewart, who will miss the Daytona 500 after suffering a back injury in late January. Stewart, who is scheduled to retire at the end of the season, is a three-time Sprint Cup Series champion but has never won the Daytona 500.

    Vickers will race in the Sprint Unlimited for Stewart on Saturday night. He'll then drive in the Daytona 500 on February 21 as well as the qualifying races for the 500 on Thursday, Feb. 18. It's unknown if he'll continue as Stewart's interim driver after Daytona. The team has not announced who will be in the car at Atlanta and beyond until Stewart returns.

    Stewart held a Periscope session on Friday morning, his first public words since the sand buggy accident that resulted in a fractured burst vertebra in his back.

    Stewart was on Periscope while walking on a treadmill in Charlotte. He's expected to be out for a significant period of time and NBC analyst Dale Jarrett said the team expects him to be out a minimum of three months.

    Podcast: EARNHARDT NATION author Jay Busbee discusses his new book:

    - - - - - - -

  • No. 14 car allowed to compete in Sprint Unlimited

    Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles 1 day ago

    Tony Stewart's No. 14 car will be competing in Saturday night's Sprint Unlimited exhibition race.

    NASCAR said Thursday afternoon that Stewart-Haas Racing could field the No. 14 car in the event. The driver of the car is expected to be Brian Vickers. SHR is announcing the driver of the car Friday morning and the AP reported Wednesday that it will be Vickers.

    Vickers has been medically cleared by NASCAR to race. He missed most of the 2015 season because of a recurrence of blood clots, which also sidelined him in 2010 and 2013. Stewart is out with a fractured vertebra suffered in a late January sand buggy incident.

    “We have not been informed who the driver will be” NASCAR vice president Steve O'Donnell said on NBC's NASCAR America. “We can just confirm we will allow the 14 in the race.”

    It's, uh, quite unlikely that NASCAR doesn't know that Vickers (or someone else) will replace Stewart in the Unlimited.

    The addition of Vickers into the race also goes against the spirit of the eligibility rules of the Sprint Unlimited.

    Podcast: EARNHARDT NATION author Jay Busbee discusses his new book:

    - - - - - - -

    Follow @NickBromberg

  • NASCAR outlines post-charter qualifying, GWC and points tweaks

    Nick Bromberg at From The Marbles 1 day ago

    NASCAR outlined how the field will be set in qualifying for the Daytona 500 and the rest of the season Thursday afternoon, unveiled a very-slightly modified points system and also explained how green-white-checker finishes will be handled.

    With the charter system guaranteeing 36 cars starting spots in the now-40 (down from 43) car field, changes were necessary to the qualifying structure in the Cup Series.

    The fastest four non-charter teams in qualifying will make the race (outside the Daytona 500). If qualifying is cancelled for rain reasons, practice speeds determine the four non-charter positions. Owner points will be used if there's no practice and qualifying.

    The GWC rules will be different in 2016 after the disaster that was the green-white-checker finish at the fall Talladega race. There will be a line at each track past the start-finish line called the "overtime line."

    - - - - - - -

  • NCAA rules committee OKs increased replay official authority

    Nick Bromberg at Dr. Saturday 1 day ago

    The thought of replay officials having more influence on college football games is closer to reality.

    The NCAA rules committee approved a proposal that would allow replay officials to have the ability to stop the game to assess a targeting foulthat was missed on the field. If the replay official deems the play to have occurred without the officials seeing it, the official viewing the replay can buzz down to the field to notify the referee.

    The targeting foul, a penalty since 2013, has previously only been able to be assessed by officials on the field. If the Playing Rules Oversight Panel passes the proposal in March, it'll be official in 2016.

    Other rules committee notes:

    • The committee wants officials to enforce the 3-yard limit for linemen going downfield before a pass more strictly.

    - - - - - - -

    Follow @NickBromberg

  • Notre Dame WR Corey Robinson wins student body president election

    Nick Bromberg at Dr. Saturday 1 day ago

    The new student body president of Notre Dame is a football player.

    Wide receiver Corey Robinson won Wednesday night's elections. He's the son of former San Antonio Spurs center David Robinson.

    Robinson, a senior in 2016, announced his campaign in January. He told The Observer, the student paper of Notre Dame and St. Mary's, that he'd be able to juggle the responsibilities of playing football and being student body president.

    “This spring, all of our practices are in the morning, so we practice from six in the morning until 10 a.m., and the rest of the day is free, and I have one class a day, no class on Fridays,” he said. “In the summer, same kind of thing — we only practice for two hours a day, and I’m going to be here every day, all day, so that’ll be easy as well. I’m only taking one class. “

    Once the Irish begin their 2016 season in August, Robinson said his schedule will change but would still allow him to fully work in student government.

    Robinson had 16 catches for 200 yards and a touchdown in 2015. Those numbers will likely increase next season with the departures of WR Will Fuller and RB C.J. Prosise to the NFL.

    - - - - - - -