Marc J. Spears
- Yahoo Sports1 day ago
1. San Antonio Spurs (46-16; last week's ranking: 5): The Spurs jump back to No. 1 with six straight wins and nine in their past 10 games. San Antonio also now owns the NBA's top record.
2. Houston Rockets (44-19; last week's ranking: 4): Houston has won five straight games with a big test at Oklahoma City on Tuesday. Houston is only two games behind the Thunder.
3. Los Angeles Clippers (44-20; last week's ranking: 6): The Clippers have won a season-high seven straight games. Los Angeles has scored more than 100 points in 20 straight games.
4. Oklahoma City Thunder (46-17; last week's ranking: 3): The Thunder fell to second in the West with their surprising loss to the Lakers on Sunday. Oklahoma City has split its past 10 games.
5. Indiana Pacers (46-17; last week's ranking: 1): Indiana has lost a season-high four straight. Help is on the way: The Pacers face Boston, Philadelphia (twice), Detroit and New York next.
6. Miami Heat (43-17; last week's ranking: 2): The Heat have lost three straight games and are 10-9 on the road against the East. Next up are the Wizards, who won their last meeting on Jan. 15.Wed, Mar 127:30 PM PDTGolden State at LA ClippersPreview Game
- Yahoo Sports6 days ago
The Sacramento Kings are giving free-agent forward Royce White an NBA opportunity through their D-League affiliate, a source told Yahoo Sports.
The Kings expect to sign White to a 10-day contract on Thursday and immediately assign him to the Reno Big Horns, where he will be evaluated over four games. The former Iowa State star has battled an anxiety disorder and has a fear of flying. If White's D-League stint goes well, the Kings will likely sign him to a second 10-day contract and add him to their active roster.
White is expected to practice with the Big Horns on Thursday in Reno. He could make his Big Horns debut against the Idaho Stampede on Friday night. Kings executives are expected to be on hand during the four games that White is expected to play in Reno.
White was taken 16th overall by the Houston Rockets during the 2012 NBA draft. He was never able to reach a common ground with the Rockets because of his anxiety about flying. He missed training camp and thought the Rockets weren't treating his mental health issues effectively. He was eventually suspended for "refusal to provide services" stipulated by his contract.Wed, Mar 124:00 PM PDTSacramento at PhiladelphiaPreview Game
- Yahoo Sports8 days ago
The Milwaukee Bucks are expected to sign D-League Fort Wayne Mad Ants forward Tony Mitchell to a 10-day contract on Tuesday, sources told Yahoo Sports.
Mitchell averaged 19.4 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 21 games this season, his second with the Mad Ants. The former Alabama star was the 2013 D-League Rookie of the Year, a 2013 D-League All-Star and is a two-time winner of the D-League dunk contest. He scored a season-high 35 points against Canton on Jan. 31 and had games with 47 and 49 points last season.
The Bucks had an open roster spot after they recently waived forward Caron Butler, who signed with the Oklahoma City Thunder.
The Detroit Pistons also have a rookie forward named Tony Mitchell.
- Yahoo Sports9 days ago
1. Indiana Pacers (46-13; last week's ranking: 1): The Heat have won seven straight games, but the Pacers stayed atop the East by winning five straight and pushing their NBA-best home record to 29-3 with a win over Utah on Sunday.
2. Miami Heat (42-14; last week's ranking: 2): Miami plays at San Antonio in a rematch of the 2013 NBA Finals. The Spurs won two of three games at home in the Finals.
3. Oklahoma City Thunder (45-15; last week's ranking: 3): Russell Westbrook appears to have regained his form, averaging 23.6 points, 6.6 assists and 1.6 steals over the past three games.
4. Houston Rockets (40-19; last week's ranking: 4): The Rockets face the elite of the Eastern Conference at home this week when they meet Miami on Tuesday and Indiana on Friday.
5. San Antonio Spurs (43-16; last week's ranking: 5): The Spurs welcomed back All-Star point guard Tony Parker, who had 22 points, seven assists and three rebounds in Sunday's victory over Dallas. Parker had missed the previous six games.
6. Los Angeles Clippers (41-20; last week's ranking: 6): Ex-Clippers forward Antawn Jamison is working out in his hometown of Charlotte in hope of being signed by a team.Wed, Mar 124:00 PM PDTBrooklyn at MiamiPreview Game
- Yahoo Sports12 days ago
NBA free agent-to-be Danny Granger is scheduled to have phone conversations with the Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Clippers and the Chicago Bulls on Thursday, a source told Yahoo Sports.
clearing the way for him to become a free agent. The 2009 NBA All-Star will become an unrestricted free agent on Friday assuming he clears waivers as expected. All the teams interested in the nine-year veteran small forward are projected playoff teams looking for an added veteran boost off the bench.
Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reported Wednesday that the Clippers are the frontrunner to land Granger, who joins Caron Butler as two coveted free-agent forwards available. Additionally, Los Angeles signed free-agent forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis to a contract for the remainder of the season last Sunday.
- Yahoo Sports13 days ago
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A dancing Dwight Howard loudly sang Beyoncé's hit, "Drunk In Love," after the Houston Rockets' 129-103 blowout win over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday night. Shortly after, James Harden arrived to his locker coincidentally singing the same song.
On the court, Harden and newcomer Howard have been in tune for the Rockets, too, as they combined for 63 points on this night and have led the franchise to an 8-1 record in February and an NBA-best 18-5 record in 2014. And suddenly Howard's proclaimed title aspirations upon arrival don't sound like a song and dance with Houston anymore either.
"Myself and James have been to the [NBA] Finals," Howard said. "I've been in the league for a while and I understand the importance of winning. Not just regular-season winning, but winning when it counts which is in the playoffs. I just have total faith in this team.
"I told them it wouldn't be easy. But we got a shot. We can't say we want to wait a year to gel and be ready. We want to win right away."
- Yahoo Sports15 days ago
NBA free-agent forward-center Drew Gooden is expected to sign a 10-day contract with the Washington Wizards following the loss of Nene, sources told Yahoo Sports.
Nene, who was averaging 14.2 points and 5.8 rebounds, is expected to miss six weeks after being diagnosed with a sprained MCL on Monday. Gooden is expected to sign with the Wizards on Tuesday, though the 11-year NBA veteran would likely not play that night against the Orlando Magic as his first practice with Washington is scheduled for Wednesday, according to a source familiar with the circumstances. Even before Nene's injury, the Wizards had been eyeing the possibility of adding a big man since earning an open roster spot after trading Jan Vesely and Eric Maynor last Thursday.
Gooden, 32, has played with nine teams in his career averaging 11.8 points and 7.6 rebounds. The 6-foot-10, 250-pounder averaged career-lows of 3.3 points and 1.9 rebounds with the Milwaukee Bucks last season. The Bucks used the amnesty clause on July 16 on the final two years and $13.3 million remaining on Gooden's contract.Wed, Mar 124:00 PM PDTCharlotte at WashingtonPreview Game
- Yahoo Sports15 days ago
1. Indiana Pacers (42-13; last week's ranking: 2): New forward Evan Turner could make his debut Tuesday against the Lakers. He is expected to play the same minutes per night (22) Danny Granger did.
2. Miami Heat (40-14; last week's ranking: 3): Miami is on the Pacers' doorstep after winning five-straight games, including a 14-point win over Chicago without LeBron James on Sunday.
3. Oklahoma City Thunder (43-14; last week's ranking: 1): The Thunder are 0-2 since Russell Westbrook, who has missed 18 of 25 shots during that span, returned to action after knee surgery.
4. Houston Rockets (38-18; last week's ranking: 4): The hot Rockets have won nine of their past 10 games and are now only two games behind San Antonio for the West's second seed.
5. San Antonio Spurs (40-16; last week's ranking: 6): The home game Wednesday against Detroit is the first since Feb. 1 after going on their annual rodeo trip that was nine games long.
6. Los Angeles Clippers (39-20; last week's ranking: 5): New forward Glen Davis could make his Clippers debut Wednesday night against Houston at home. "Big Baby" adds size, scoring and rebounding.
- Yahoo Sports16 days ago
LOS ANGELES – New Brooklyn Nets center Jason Collins took part in a postgame interview and walked off to rousing applause as the last player to leave the floor. Such adulation isn't normal for a journeyman center that was scoreless with five hard fouls in 10 minutes of play.
But this wasn't a normal night. Rather, a historical one in which Collins became the first openly gay male athlete to play in one of America's four major sports when he debuted with the Nets during a 108-102 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers.
"It was weird because I'm usually one of the background players," Collins said. "It's weird obviously, this [the media attention]. But at the same time, it is what it is. It's part of life."
- Yahoo Sports16 days ago
LOS ANGELES – Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant told Yahoo Sports that the Brooklyn Nets' signing of openly gay center Jason Collins will have a "domino effect" that will impact much more than the gay and sports communities.
Collins became the first openly gay athlete to play in one of America's four major sports when he debuted for the Nets against the Lakers on Sunday night. The Nets signed Collins, who announced he was gay on April 29, to a 10-day contract on Sunday. Bryant has been a strong supporter of Collins since his announcement.
"His impact [Sunday night] is greater than what people think," Bryant told Yahoo Sports before the game. "You look at it from the context of having the first openly gay player. But they missed the domino effect that it has way beyond sports."
Bryant first responded to Collins' announcement that he was gay by saying on his Twitter account: