- Kevin Iole at Boxing14 hrs ago
When promoter Tom Loeffler announced last week that middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin would make his debut on the West Coast by fighting Marco Antonio Rubio at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., on Oct. 18, he promised that a solid co-feature would open the HBO broadcast.
On Wednesday, he delivered.
Loeffler told Yahoo Sports that the show will open with a dandy featherweight bout between WBA champion Nonito Donaire and hard-hitting Nicholas Walters.
Walters is 24-0 with 20 knockouts and is coming off a dominant victory over Vic Darchinyan on May 31, in Macau. Walters knocked Darchinyan down twice before knocking him out in the fifth round of that bout.
That bout preceded Donaire's technical decision victory over Simpiwe Vetyeka.
"We were committed to making this a strong show and this is a solid fight to get things started [on TV]," Loeffler said. "HBO really liked this fight and we agreed."
- Kevin Iole at Boxing19 hrs ago
Adonis Stevenson becomes harder to figure out with each passing day.
The WBC light heavyweight champion, who has essentially dodged fights with WBO champion Sergey Kovalev and IBF/WBA champion Bernard Hopkins, also isn't showing much interest in making what would be a significant fight with former champion Jean Pascal.
Greg Leon, the CEO of Pascal Promotions, told Yahoo Sports he's offered Stevenson's camp a 50-50 split in a fight at the Bell Centre in Montreal between the two Montreal-based fighters. Pascal, who is ranked No. 1 at light heavyweight by both the IBF and the WBC, is coming off a dominant win over Lucian Bute.
Bute is the other Montreal-based light heavyweight, but he was the biggest star of the three, attracting massive crowds throughout Quebec. He gave Pascal a 50-50 split for their bout, with each man making $2 million for a bout which drew 20,479.
Pascal, who has faced a series of big-name opponents, including Hopkins twice, Chad Dawson and Carl Froch, is considered a bigger draw in Quebec than Stevenson.
- Kevin Iole at Yahoo Sports19 hrs ago
Adrien Broner awakened Monday and took a look at the Internet. What he didn't see was the thing he most enjoys reading about, hearing about, talking about: Himself.
The former world champion loves nothing more than to make waves, to create headlines, to be the center of attention.
And so, since there wasn't any active major discussions about him, he did something about it.
Broner is training in Washington, D.C., working out with his buddy, IBF super lightweight champion Lamont Peterson, preparing for a Sept. 6 bout in Cincinnati against Emmanuel Taylor on Showtime.
So he let it leak that he might be fighting Peterson on Oct. 18. That led to a flurry of activity on boxing websites around the world.
And after seeing his name all over Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and on boxing websites everywhere, Broner was satisfied.
"People say I'm a professional boxer, and I am," Broner said. "But that's only a part of who I am. I'm also a professional entertainer. I'm a guy that needs the lights and the cameras focused on me. So on Monday, when nobody was talking about Adrien Broner, I gave them something to talk about."
- Kevin Iole at Yahoo Sports21 hrs ago
Shayna Baszler isn't going to collect a Social Security check any time soon, though by women's mixed martial arts standards, she's ancient.
Baszler is 34 and has been fighting for more than 11 years, dating back to a time when women's MMA was literally little more than a carnival sideshow attraction.
She fought in cornfields in South Dakota, where cars parked in a circle and shined their headlights onto the ring to illuminate the venue. She fought when women were called out of the stands to challenge her. She fought on shows where people signed up at the door to rumble.
Baszler made her, ahem, professional debut a few days after the Florida Marlins won their second World Series in October 2003.
Nothing Baszler sees on Saturday, when she faces Bethe Correia in a three-round women's bantamweight match at Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, Calif., on the main card of UFC 177, will faze her because nothing can possibly happen that she hasn't already experienced.
Never did Baszler fight for money, because there wasn't any money to be had.
She laughs when asked the size of the purse she earned in some of her early fights.
- Kevin Iole at Yahoo Sports1 day ago
The scene was sadly familiar to Janice Dillashaw. Her cell phone would buzz, alerting her to the arrival of a text message.
It was from her son, and as she read it, she got that helpless feeling all mothers get when their child has hit a difficult point in life.
"It was just completely ripping my heart out," she said.
It happened more than once, and it was never easy for her, her husband, Hal, or her son, T.J. Dillashaw.
T.J. was one of the best wrestlers in California while he was at Bret Harte Union High School in Angels Camp. And then he was one of the best wrestlers in the then-Pac-10 while he was at Cal State Fullerton, when the school still had a wrestling program.
But as good as he was, Dillashaw was unable to win the event that really mattered. He didn't win a state title or the Pac-10 conference championship even though he believed completely that he could.
When he came up short, he'd be devastated and would pour his heart out to his mother via text message.
- Kevin Iole at Cagewriter2 days ago
The UFC released a statement Tuesday in which it conceded that president Dana White had no authority to order judge Howard Hughes to be yanked from his assignments at a fight card on Saturday at Cotai Arena at The Venetian in Macau.
An admittedly angry White pulled Hughes after Hughes scored the first two fights of the night.
That would not have occurred in a jurisdicition with a regulatory body, but because there is no commission in China, the UFC self regulates. But Marc Ratner, the UFC's vice president of regulatory affairs and the man who normally handles such duties for the UFC, did not attend the show. He was at the card in Tulsa, Okla., later Saturday.
- Kevin Iole at Yahoo Sports2 days ago
LAS VEGAS – Mixed martial arts fans collectively cheered on Saturday when UFC president Dana White yanked Howard Hughes as a judge after he was unhappy with Hughes' work in the first two bouts at a fight card Saturday in Macau, China.
This, though, was a decision that should have been booed, and loudly, even if one believes that Hughes clearly blew both of the first two bouts.
The UFC self regulates in jurisdictions that have no athletic commission or governing body, such as Macau. In those cases, the UFC generally appoints Marc Ratner, its vice president for regulatory affairs and, notably, the highly respected former executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission, to run such shows.
Ratner runs those shows under Nevada rules, and he appoints the judges, the referees and runs the drug testing.
But Ratner wasn't in Macau on Saturday. Instead, he attended the card in Oklahoma later that night, though he did appoint the judges and referees for the Macau show.
- Kevin Iole at Yahoo Sports2 days ago
It was only 15 months ago that Adonis Stevenson obliterated Chad Dawson in Montreal in their fight for the WBC light heavyweight title, though it seems like 15 years.
Stevenson has blown any momentum he captured with his surprising performance against Dawson.
He's made a series of stupefying decisions and appears much more like Clark Kent rather than the “Superman” nickname he's most definitely not living up to.
With the official word coming last week that the only two other light heavyweights who matter, Bernard Hopkins and Sergey Kovalev, are going to fight Nov. 8 in Atlantic City, Stevenson essentially has been pushed out of the spotlight.
Fortunes change quickly in boxing and in a year's time, much of the negative talk surrounding Stevenson could be forgotten.
The key word here is much. Much of it will be forgotten. Not all of it will be.
Boxing fans and the media have long memories. And they'll remember a guy who blew a potential Fight of the Year with Kovalev. They'll remember a guy who jumped networks seemingly to get a fight with Hopkins, then not making that fight.
- Kevin Iole at Boxing2 days ago
Wladimir Klitschko, the IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion, announced Monday he has to pull out of his planned Sept. 6 title defense against Kubrat Pulev because of a torn left biceps.
Klitschko will have to miss approximately four weeks of training.
“I am very disappointed the fight will not go ahead," Klitschko, 38, said. “So far I have been in top shape and had a great training camp. I am sorry for my fans as well as my opponent, Kubrat Pulev, who has surely prepared just as intensely.”
The fight will likely be rescheduled before the end of the year and will be held in Hamburg, Germany.
- Kevin Iole at Boxing5 days ago
One of the perks Floyd Mayweather Jr. received in the six-fight contract he signed last year with Showtime was the ability to serve as executive producer of the preview shows about his fights.
The next installment of Showtime's All Access series will build toward Mayweather's Sept. 13 rematch at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas against Marcos Maidana. It will debut on Showtime on Aug. 30 at 9:30 p.m. ET and the new round will be familiar for long-time Mayweather observers.
Throughout the piece, Mayweather boasts of his skills, his wealth, his cars and the lifestyle the money provides him. Such over-the-top gimmickry in the debut of HBO's 24/7 series before his fight in 2007 with Oscar De La Hoya is what vaulted him into superstardom.
He's never abandoned that theme and turns to it again in his fourth All Access series for Showtime.
In one segment of the debut episode, Mayweather speaks of his boxing career. "They kind of believe," he says in a voice over while clips are shown of him dressed like James Bond gambling in a casino. "I really believe. They think they're good. I know I'm great."