Jay Hart at Yahoo Sports 24 days ago
As the NFL approaches its highly anticipated golden anniversary Super Bowl, Yahoo Sports takes a look back at some of the most memorable moments in the game's history.
In our rankings, the moments go beyond the great scores and plays. We also take a look at entertainment performances, scandals/controversies and other events associated with corresponding Super Bowls.
Here's a look at moment No. 14:
Saints' second-half 'ambush'
"We're running 'Ambush,'" head coach Sean Payton told his team at halftime.
Ambush was an onside kick the Saints had been practicing all week in their run-up to their Super Bowl matchup against the Indianapolis Colts, and the key to its execution was Morstead.
The rookie expected the call to come, Payton having promised as much prior to the game. He just didn't expect it coming out of halftime.
But with the Saints trailing 10-6, Drew Brees and their high-powered offense having been held in check, Payton opted to gamble … on Morstead … a rookie … in the Super Bowl … in front of what was then the largest television audience in the game's history. And that had Morstead just a little nervous.
So Jordan Spieth was out of contention at the British Open, right? Five strokes back of Dustin Johnson, who was showing no let up. No way to make up that much ground.
Well, he did, and a little more.
Spieth went low in Sunday's third round, firing a 6-under 66 to vault himself from 5-under, 5 strokes back to 11-under and (at the moment) the clubhouse lead.
"At this point it's free rolling," he said after his round. "I'm going to play to win, and I'm not playing to – I'm not playing for a place. I don't want to place third tomorrow. I want to win."
There are still players on the course and ample numbers to be had – St. Andrews is giving away birdies like Bed Bath and Beyond 15-percent off coupons – and several players are at 12-under, but Spieth did what he had to do, and will at least have a shot at a third straight major and, yes, keeping those Grand Slam hopes alive.
Spieth carded seven birdies on his round, though will likely be smarting over two missed opportunities: a bogey at 9, one of the easiest holes on the course, and a par at 18, where he needed three strokes to get home from less than 100 yards.
Jay Hart at The Turnstile 6 mths ago
The J-Bay Open, a surfing competition off the southeastern coast of South Africa, was halted Sunday. Here's why (and a proverbial language warning):
Yeah, that'll do it.
That's Australian Mick "White Lightning" Fanning, the defending champ at J-Bay, and, as you might suspect, he was having none of the shark, so he punched him in the back before being pulled out of the water by support crew.
As you'll see here, Fanning was A-OK, with nary a scratch on him.
Jokes? This soon? Nah, it's surfing, brah. Vaya con dios.
Your browser does not support iframes.
After shooting a 4-over 76 in Round 1 of the British Open, Tiger Woods explained why he still had a chance, despite being 11 strokes back:
"I'm so far back and the leaderboard is so bunched that in order for me to get in there by Sunday, I'm going to have to have the conditions tough and then obviously put together some really solid rounds. If you shoot some good, solid rounds in tough conditions like that, players can move up the board, and hopefully I'm one of them."
Friday gave him exactly what he wanted – heavy rain followed by blustery winds. Aaaaand … Tiger went 1-over before play was suspended.
Saturday also gave him exactly what he wanted – wind gusting more than 25 mph. Aaaaand … Tiger went 2-over for a second-round 75 – 7-over for the tournament.
Now, for the second straight major, Woods missed the cut by a mile. Seven strokes at St. Andrews, backing up his 11-stroke deficit at last month's U.S. Open.
We're talking about strokes short of the cut here, not the lead.
On 18, staring down a short birdie putt of about 5 feet, Tiger pushed it right in what amounts to a microcosm of his entire game.
Blah blah blah.
Round 2 of the British Open isn't over yet.
Rain delayed action Friday morning, meaning those with later tee times weren't able to finish all 18 holes. That group includes Dustin Johnson, who sits atop the leaderboard at 10-under through 13 holes.
That's one stroke better than Danny Willett, the clubhouse leader, who's in at 9-under.
In all, 18 players – finished or still with holes to play in Round 2 – are within five strokes of the lead heading into play on Saturday (Friday night if you're on the West Coast).
The delay means:
• Round 2 will continue at 7 a.m. local time, 2 a.m. ET.
• The tournament is facing a potential massive pile up, as heavy rain is expected Saturday morning.
• And Tiger Woods must stick around one more day to not make the cut, which is projected to be even par. Woods, through 11, is 5-over.
In all, 42 players have yet to complete Round 2.
Jay Hart at Devil Ball Golf 7 mths ago
Tiger Woods is still not back, at least not according to his play at the 115th U.S. Open.
Woods carded bogeys on four of his first six holes, and then this happened on the par-5 eighth:
To understand how bad Tiger's round started, that was actually one of his better holes, as he scrambled to make par following that shot.
Things got worse on the back 9, when he went bogey-bogey-bogey-triple to balloon to 10-over.
A birdie on 16 – his first – moved him up one to 9-over. For a minute.
On 18, he topped his second shot into a deep fairway bunker known as Chambers Basement, his round at that point disintegrating beyond frustration. With little to lose, he pitched it out without much thought en route to another bogey – the eighth of the round to go along with the triple.
The damage: 10-over 80.
That's how it is these days for the 14-time major winner, now the world's 195th-ranked player.
Jay Hart at Shutdown Corner 8 mths ago
Here's your weekly Aaron Hernandez legal update:
Lawyers for the former New England Patriots star turned convicted murderer have filed four motions asking that their client's guilty verdict be overturned because of, essentially, "a juror's exposure to extraneous matters," according to a report from FOX25 News in Boston.
In other words, they're alleging a juror found out about something he or she shouldn't have, which isn't too farfetched given the widespread media coverage of the trial.
Jurors were not sequestered during the two-plus-month-long trial. And while Judge E. Susan Garsh asked them at the end of each day of testimony to avoid consuming coverage of the trial, 12 people adhering to that directive seems like a tall order considering one could have happened upon news simply by mistake.
Exactly what a juror may have been exposed to is unclear, as the documents filed by Hernandez's lawyers are sealed from the public.
Jay Hart at Yahoo Sports 8 mths ago
On May 15, 2004, FIFA's executive committee held a vote to select the host nation for the 2010 World Cup. In the running were South Africa, Egypt and Morocco.
Among those in the room that day were Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer, each of whom had a vote.
Several months earlier, Warner, former president of CONCACAF, and Blazer, the former CONCACAF general secretary, travelled to Morocco and met with a member of the country's bid committee. During the meeting, the Moroccan official offered Warner $1 million in exchange for his vote.
Little did the Moroccan official know his bribe wasn't even close; South African officials were prepared to do 10 times better, offering Warner $10 million.
South Africa eventually won the bid, getting votes from Warner, Blazer and one other associate who were all allegedly in on the fix.
This is just one in a laundry list of corruption schemes laid out in the U.S. Justice Department's indictment that on Wednesday led to the arrest of 14 current and former FIFA officials.
Podcast: Dan Wetzel on FIFA corruption
And on and on it went.
Jay Hart at Yahoo Sports 9 mths ago
Aaron Hernandez's attorneys have filed an appeal of the guilty verdicts against the former New England Patriots star, claiming that "no rational jury could have found [guilt in] every essential element … beyond a reason doubt."
"Rather, improper speculation, conjecture, and guesswork was required to reach a guilty verdict," the memorandum reads.
So begins the appeals process for Hernandez, who in April was found guilty of first-degree murder of Odin Lloyd.
Hernandez was handed a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. His lawyers are seeking to have the guilty charge reversed and, barring that, imploring the court to reduce his sentence to one that could potentially have him out of jail in 15 years.
All along, the case against Hernandez was built on circumstantial evidence. There was no murder weapon found, no eyewitnesses that would testify that he was the shooter, and no clear motive as to why Hernandez wanted to kill a man who was dating his girlfriend's sister.
In interviews following the trial, several jurors mentioned "indifference" as one of the reasons they reached a guilty verdict.
Jay Hart at Yahoo Sports 9 mths ago
Aaron Hernandez is not heading back to court just yet, but his lawyers will be.
A May 21 status hearing has been set at the Suffolk County Superior Court for the double-murder charge Hernandez faces for a 2012 shooting in Boston's South End.
Prosecutors allege that in July 2012, the former New England Patriots star opened fire on an SUV, killing two people and wounding another.
Hernandez, already serving a life sentence following his conviction last month in the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd, has pled not guilty to the double homicide. He is not expected to be in court for the status hearing, according to The Patch, meaning he will likely remain in Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center, located 40 miles west of Boston.
Hernandez pled not guilty to the murder of Lloyd, a case that prosecutors relied heavily on circumstantial evidence. The double-homicide case against Hernandez is considered much stronger.