(Kelly Lambert/US Presswire)
The Zone Read is your morning college football primer to make you seem like the smartest person at the water cooler even if you're not.
Nick Saban has finally caved.
After some initial moans and groans about four-year scholarships, Saban said Tuesday he is in favor of offering four-year-grants for prospects for the 2013 class and beyond.
"We're going to offer four-year scholarships," Saban told TideSports.com. "Our whole conference is going to do it, all the schools, I think.
"And we're happy to do it.
[ Related: SEC spring football preview: New teams, new holes to fill ]
This, less than a week after Alabama was one of 60 schools to vote the measure down in a NCAA Division I-wide vote. The vote passed by the slimmest of margins much to the chagrin of 60 percent of Division I programs that voted to rescind it.
"Last year, it was something that was tabled," Saban said. "Then there was the vote to rescind. We just wanted to know exactly what the rule would be before we made a comment. What if we had started offering four-year scholarships and then the rule had been changed back?"
Of course Saban had to get on board with multiyear scholarships after Auburn and Florida started offering them and subsequently claiming a slight a recruiting advantage. Only Tennessee, LSU and Texas A&M voted to rescind multiyear scholarships.
If the entire SEC does move to multiyear scholarships, it would join the Big Ten as the only other conference to do so.
Read More »from Zone read: If other SEC schools are going to multiyear scholarships, so will Nick Saban