- Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports38 mins ago
Free-agent forward Richard Jefferson has agreed to a one-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Jefferson, 34, has played 13 seasons in the NBA, including parts of the past two seasons with the Utah Jazz.
Jefferson gives the Mavericks some value on a minimum deal at small forward, where he has been a starter for several playoff teams through the years, including the Nets and Spurs.
- Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports57 mins ago
Free-agent guard Brian Roberts has agreed to a two-year, $5.5 million contract with the Charlotte Hornets, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Roberts has been a terrific success story in the NBA, working his way as an undrafted player out of Dayton, to three seasons with the Brose Baskets in Germany, to his first multiyear year deal in the NBA now.
Charlotte will use Roberts largely as a backup to Kemba Walker, but it's likely they'll share some time together on the floor.
Roberts, 28, played the past two seasons for New Orleans, where he averaged 8.2 points and three assists per game.
- Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports2 hrs ago
After losing LeBron James, the Miami Heat have reached agreement with free-agent forward Luol Deng on a two-year, $20 million contract, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Deng will hold a player option on the 2015-16 season, a source said.
Deng chose the Heat believing their returning nucleus and free-agent signings can keep them contending in the Eastern Conference. The absence of state income tax made the Heat's offer a sound financial decision for him, too.
Heat president Pat Riley and Deng's agent Ron Shade talked on Saturday and completed the deal on Sunday morning.
Deng, 29, delivers the Heat a tough-minded, defensive-first forward with a versatile offensive game to complement Chris Bosh on the frontline.
For Deng, the deal gives him a chance to return to free agency next summer in what could be a stronger financial market for him. Between Chicago and Cleveland, Deng averaged 16 points and 5.7 rebounds.
- Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports16 hrs ago
After losing LeBron James to the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Miami Heat's discussions to secure free agent forward Luol Deng on a two-year, nearly $20 million contract will continue on Sunday, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Heat president Pat Riley and Deng's agent Ron Shade had talks on Saturday and plan to reconnect on Sunday morning.
Miami is competing with several teams, including Atlanta and Dallas, to sign Deng.
Deng, 29, would deliver the Heat a tough-minded, defensive-first forward with a versatile offensive game to complement Chris Bosh on the frontline.
Between Chicago and Cleveland, Deng averaged 16 points and 5.7 rebounds last season.
Miami has been determined to reshape its roster and remain a contender without James. Heat president Pat Riley signed Bosh to a five-year, $118 million contract on Friday, and is nearing deals with Dwyane Wade, Udonis Haslem and Chris Andersen, sources told Yahoo Sports. Miami also plans to sign free agents Danny Granger and Josh McRoberts.
Deng met with Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra in Chicago last week to discuss a deal with the Heat.
- Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports21 hrs ago
The Houston Rockets are still strongly considering the Dallas Mavericks' offer sheet for Chandler Parsons after reaching agreement on a four-year, $32 million contract with free-agent forward Trevor Ariza, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Ariza's contract is on a declining scale, paying him $8.6 million, $8.2 million, $7.8 million and $7.4 million over the next four seasons, sources said.
The Rockets are expected to take until 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday to match the three-year, $46 million offer sheet the Mavericks gave Parsons, sources said. The Rockets could give Parsons some minutes at power forward, allowing them to play him and Ariza together.
Ariza, 29, returns to Houston for his second stint with the Rockets. The Rockets signed Ariza to a five-year, $35 million contract in the summer of 2009 then traded him to New Orleans the following summer.
The Rockets moved to sign Ariza after Chris Bosh passed on a four-year, $88 million offer from them to re-sign a five-year, $118 million deal with the Miami Heat. To make the offer, the Rockets created the necessary salary-cap space by trading Jeremy Lin and a first-round pick to the Los Angeles Lakers.
The Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers have been working on a sign-and-trade package to bring Pau Gasol to the Bulls on a multiyear contract that starts at approximately $10 million a year, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
If a sign-and-trade doesn't come together, the Bulls will sign Gasol to a multiyear deal with a salary starting in the $6.5 million-a-year range, sources said. To clear some salary-cap room, the Bulls will trade center Greg Smith to the Dallas Mavericks, sources told Yahoo Sports' Marc Spears on Saturday.
Smith will make $948,163 next season. He didn’t play for the Bulls after being signed late last season, but averaged 3.5 points and 2.5 rebounds for the Houston Rockets last season in 11 games.
Gasol announced on Twitter Saturday evening that he was leaving the Lakers to join the Bulls.
It hasn't been easy. After meditating it a lot I've chosen to play with the Chicago Bulls. Looking forward to this new chapter of my career
Carmelo Anthony will sign a five-year, $120 million-plus contract to return to the New York Knicks, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Anthony considered the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets before deciding to re-sign. He notified the other teams on Saturday that he's returning to New York.
Anthony might still take less than the maximum $129 million the Knicks can give him, a source said.
Anthony is expected to publicly announce his return on Sunday.
After meetings with Chicago, Houston, Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers, Anthony decided to recommit to Knicks president Phil Jackson and his new regime.
Anthony, 30, is a seven-time All-Star and the cornerstone of Jackson's plan to use salary cap space in 2015 and '16 to lure a star free agent to the Knicks.
The Utah Jazz notified the Charlotte Hornets that they have matched the four-year, $63 million maximum contract offer sheet for restricted free agent Gordon Hayward, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Hayward will sign a four-year, $63 million contract with the Jazz today in Salt Lake City, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The contract includes a player option for the fourth year and a 15 percent trade kicker, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Agent Mark Bartelstein aggressively courted the market for the offer sheet on Hayward, 24, and finally reached the deal with Charlotte on Tuesday. Utah and Hayward had been unable to reach agreement on a contract last fall.
The Hornets desperately still need to upgrade their wing positions to deliver scoring punch, and the possibility of securing Hayward – even on such rich deal – made sense. Charlotte is negotiating with free-agent power forward Marvin Williams to replace Josh McRoberts, but those talks were on hold while Utah matched the deal.
All along, Jazz officials have maintained that they would match any offer sheet for Hayward, the No. 9 overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft.
Free-agent guard Vince Carter has agreed to a three-year, $12 million contract with the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Memphis no longer wanted to wait on its own free agent, Mike Miller, who has a strong interest in joining LeBron James with Cleveland, sources said.
The third year of Carter's deal with Memphis is partially guaranteed, league sources said.
For Memphis, Carter is a terrific offensive talent to bring to its bench. Carter, 37, spent the past three seasons with the Dallas Mavericks. He averaged 11.9 points and a little more than 24 minutes per game while making 39.4 percent of his 3-point attempts last season.
He hit the biggest shot of the Mavericks' season with a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to beat the San Antonio Spurs in the third game of their first-round playoff series.
Carter has averaged 20.2 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists in his 16-season NBA career.
Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert told Yahoo Sports that the explosive public letter chastising LeBron James' departure four years ago had long ago been pulled from his franchise's website.
On the night that James' live show on cable TV infuriated the Cavaliers owner and inspired his infamous letter, the Cavaliers website posted Gilbert's correspondence. Nevertheless, Gilbert insists it was taken down within months – despite recent revelations that it continued to be a part of the team's site.
"The letter was taken down from our website years ago," Gilbert told Yahoo Sports on Friday. "There was some remnant link from the NBA site that someone discovered a few days ago and when our people were notified, it was immediately killed.