Adrian Wojnarowski

  • Sources: Dwight Howard could miss extended time with knee injury

    Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports 2 hrs ago

    Houston Rockets center Dwight Howard will get a second opinion on his injured right knee and could miss extended time, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    As the Rockets embarked on a two-game Eastern Conference trip to Boston and Detroit on Thursday, Howard traveled elsewhere to get further evaluation on his swollen knee, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    Because of the injury, it is unlikely Howard can be a candidate for the NBA’s selection process to replace injured Lakers star Kobe Bryant as a Western Conference All-Star reserve, sources said. The All-Star game is Feb. 15 in New York.

    Howard has a buildup of fluid in his right knee that has caused the concern. He sat out 11 games earlier this season with a strain in the same knee.

    Howard missed the Rockets' past two games, victories over the Lakers and Mavericks, with a sprained ankle.

    For the season, Howard has averaged 16.3 points, 11 rebounds and 1.4 blocks for the Rockets.

    More NBA coverage:

  • Sources: Former Washington center Robert Upshaw considering move to D-League

    Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports 2 days ago

    As a precursor to the 2015 NBA draft, exiled University of Washington 7-footer Robert Upshaw is seriously considering a leap to the NBA Development League, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    Washington Huskies coach Lorenzo Romar dismissed Upshaw on Monday, which could give the oft-troubled junior the ability to enter into the D-League’s pool of players and be selected by a team to play the rest of the season.

    This could be a way for Upshaw to improve his standing and stock with NBA teams before entering the June NBA draft.

    After his dismissal from Washington, Upshaw’s inner-circle has begun the agent selection process, sources told Yahoo Sports.

    The NBA does not allow players enrolled at the beginning of a school year to make the immediate move into the D-League unless there’s corroboration that the NCAA or university has declared them ineligible. The D-League has yet to gather information on Upshaw’s case, sources said, but the path of P.J. Hairston – who was declared ineligible at North Carolina in December 2013 – gives Upshaw hope that his case will be seen in a similar way.

     

  • Sources: Warriors' Curry, Thompson to participate in 3-point contest

    Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports 2 days ago

    The Golden State Warriors' backcourt of Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson plan to participate in the NBA's three-point shooting contest during All-Star Weekend in New York, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    Atlanta's Kyle Korver, Portland's Wesley Matthews, and the Los Angeles Clippers' J.J. Redick are among the six players set for the contest on Feb. 14 at the Barclays Center, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    Korver is leading the NBA in three-point accuracy this season, shooting a surreal 53 percent.

    Curry has participated in the past two three-point contests, and comes to New York as a starter for the Western Conference.

    San Antonio's Marco Belinelli won the NBA's three-point contest in 2014.

    Around the league:

  • Sources: Kemba Walker to miss six weeks following surgery

    Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports 3 days ago

    Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker is expected to miss six weeks following surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee, league sources told Yahoo Sports on Monday.

    Walker is scheduled to undergo the procedure on Wednesday in New York.

    The Charlotte Observer first reported that surgery could be necessary.

    The Hornets will turn to veteran guard Brian Roberts to take over as the starting point guard, and use the trade market to find depth for the position, targeting Sacramento's Ramon Sessions and Miami's Norris Cole, among others, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    Walker has been struggling with a meniscus injury in the knee, but had been resolute on trying to play through the pain. Walker, who signed a four-year, $48 million contract extension in the offseason, has had occasional problems with a cyst in the left knee dating back to high school.

    For the Hornets, the loss of Walker could be devastating to their playoff hopes. Despite numerous player injuries that have resulted in missed games, Hornets coach Steve Clifford has managed to work Charlotte (19-26) into the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference playoff chase.

    Around the league:

  • Sources: NBA postpones Blazers-Nets game

    Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports 3 days ago

    As an epic blizzard looms over the Northeast, the NBA has postponed the Portland Trail Blazers-Brooklyn Nets game scheduled for Monday night at the Barclays Center in New York, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    The league is expected to make a formal announcement soon.

    There was no immediate rescheduled date, but the Blazers' schedule will likely necessitate that they have to fly cross-country for a single game against Brooklyn later in the season.

    The Blazers arrived in New York on Sunday for the game, but estimates of 3 to 4 inches of snow an hour and 60 mile-per-hour winds on Monday night pushed league officials to postpone the game.

    The Blazers will try to leave New York on Monday to reach Cleveland for Wednesday’s game before air travel becomes impossible.

  • Sources: Hornets, Nets resume trade talks, this time focusing on Joe Johnson, Lance Stephenson

    Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports 4 days ago

    The Charlotte Hornets and Brooklyn Nets have restarted trade discussions, this time focused on guard Joe Johnson, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    The Hornets and Nets are discussing a larger package that would likely include guards Lance Stephenson and Gerald Henderson and forward Marvin Williams, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    The Nets have dropped eight of 10 games, and fallen a half-game behind the Hornets for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

    Charlotte owner Michael Jordan has been intrigued with the possibility of Johnson, who has struggled recently with tendinitis. Johnson, 33, has one of the three major contracts that the Nets would ideally like to unload, what with the $23.1 million on his 2014-15 deal, and $24.9 million in the final season of his 2015-16 contract.

    Brooklyn has been unable to muster a market for guard Deron Williams, who has missed nine straight games with a rib injury. The Nets are still intent on moving Brook Lopez, with the Denver Nuggets remaining an interested trade partner, league sources said.

    Johnson is averaging 15 points on the season, below his career 17 points per game average.

  • Sources: Kobe, Lakers to make final decision on injury Monday, but outlook is grim

    Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports 6 days ago

    The Los Angeles Lakers and All-Star guard Kobe Bryant will wait until Monday to make a final determination on a response to his torn rotator cuff, but there’s little hope within the franchise that Bryant can avoid season-ending surgery, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    Bryant, 36, met with Lakers physicians Friday to further examine the extent of the tear, and Bryant told associates that it was “premature” to say that a decision had been made to end his season.

    Bryant will meet with Dr. Neal ElAttrache on Monday.

    Bryant wants to exhaust every possibility before ending his third straight season early because of a significant injury, sources said. Still, there isn’t believed to be a sensible plan that exists for Bryant to continue playing with such a serious injury in his shooting shoulder, sources said.

    So far, sources say, the doctors' opinions offered to Bryant have been consistent: He needs season-ending surgery.

    The Lakers and Bryant will make the final decision on surgery after consulting with Dr. ElAttrache on Monday.

  • Sources: Antetokounmpo, Oladipo, Plumlee in NBA dunk contest

    Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports 8 days ago

    The Milwaukee Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo and Orlando Magic's Victor Oladipo have committed to participating in the All-Star Weekend Slam Dunk contest, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    Brooklyn Nets center Mason Plumlee also will be a part of the competition, sources told Yahoo Sports. Another strong possibility for the competition is Minnesota Timberwolves rookie Zach LaVine, sources said.

    The dunk contest is set as the final event of All-Star Saturday night on Feb. 14 at the Barclays Center in New York.

    The All-Star game is Feb. 15 at Madison Square Garden.

    Antetokounmpo and Oladipo have emerged as the two most dynamic players from the 2013 draft class and separated themselves with their ability to play above the rim.

    Antetokounmpo, known as the "Greek Freak," is 6-foot-11 with long arms and massive hands, and has built a cult following for the Elastic Man quality to his dunks. Oladipo has been fast developing as a star for the Magic, and LaVine, 19, has a 44-inch vertical leap.

    Plumlee high-jumped 6-8 in high school and was the runner-up in the McDonald's High School All-American game dunk contest.

    More NBA coverage:

  • Sources: Larry Sanders determined to end marijuana use, resume NBA career

    Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports 11 days ago

    Milwaukee Bucks center Larry Sanders plans to use his 10-game suspension for violating the NBA's anti-drug program to deal with his core personal issues and learn to live without marijuana use, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

    Sanders wants to continue his basketball career and has been coming to the realization league rules won't permit that unless he stops testing positive as part of the league's drug program, sources said.

    Whether Sanders will play again in Milwaukee remains unclear. A new ownership group and new coach have found a measure of success without needing to depend on Sanders. The revitalized Bucks could seek to pursue a contract buyout with Sanders, but that's a discussion that's yet to take place with Sanders' representatives.

    At his best, Sanders has proven to be a dominant defensive player and an emerging offensive threat. Sanders has been marginally productive since signing a four-year, $44 million contract extension in 2013. Nevertheless, suspensions and injuries have derailed his career over the past two seasons with the Bucks.

    More NBA coverage: